Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

James May's Cars of the People

Options
  • 01-08-2014 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭

So this is what he does in his spare time:

First episode is August 10, 9PM on BBC2.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Thanks, will def watch that!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,716 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Damn.. missed it but will check it out on iPlayer tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭stalebread

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Damn.. missed it but will check it out on iPlayer tomorrow

Not on till Sunday evening u haven't missed it yet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,716 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

stalebread wrote: »
    Not on till Sunday evening u haven't missed it yet!!

Ahh damn being up this late.. I just saw the date in the corner and forgot all about that it was after midnight :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Quite interesting, although might have been better to spend less time on the history of each regime so he could squeeze in more cars. Fascinating that there were almost 20 million 124 derivitaves built.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Buffman

I thought that was quite good, though it probably didn't need the usual Top Gear random destruction of cars. I suppose I'm silly getting sentimental over a Lada.:D I actually went onto donedeal after it to see if there were any around!

It was funny when the crews Range Rover blew the tyre and the Lada kept on going.:D

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

Buffman wrote: »

It was funny when the crews Range Rover blew the tyre and the Lada kept on going.:D

Its a nice contrast though, the car that started out as a style exercise and was adapted to cope with real life.

This weeks episode was reasonably good again, but I felt the whole machiegunning of the cars was a bit tacky, and although its considered typical top gear fare, I expected more from james may than that sort of juvenile behaviour.

80 million hondas, wow that truly is the people vehicle. But i suppose they are everywhere, We had a few 70s here for mucking about on the farm when I was a kid

Wow, I missed it, (recorded it though!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Can't say I'm enjoying these really, by the half hour mark I'm getting really bored & want to turn them off...I can't quite put my finger on why, they're high on content & low on filler, I just don't find them all that interesting I suppose

• Advertisement

I kinda feel the same, I think he is being too detailed about the vehicles.

I think it would be better to have more cars and less detail about the ones he does show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    I kinda feel the same, I think he is being too detailed about the vehicles.

I think it would be better to have more cars and less detail about the ones he does show.

It's weird because one critisism of Top Gear is they're high on filler & low on content a lot of times. This is the opposite, but yet it's still not quite the right formula for the reasons you mention, they've put too much detail into this. It's still good, if not a bit boring :o

You get to see quite a lot of the cars though, which is refreshing. Treat it as a documentary I think.
    Good to have a programme like this as a lot of that stuff wouldn't have made it on tv before.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    This weeks episode was reasonably good again, but I felt the whole machiegunning of the cars was a bit tacky, and although its considered typical top gear fare, I expected more from james may than that sort of juvenile behaviour.
    I agree. I thought the first episode was OK, but that whole section with the machine gunning of the two cars was just infantile. Luckily I'd recorded it so could fast-forward through it, but I couldn't believe how long it went on.

Also wtf was that bit on the Transit doing amidst a program concentrating on micro-cars?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Alun wrote: »
    I agree. I thought the first episode was OK, but that whole section with the machine gunning of the two cars was just infantile. Luckily I'd recorded it so could fast-forward through it, but I couldn't believe how long it went on.

It went on for so long because they kept firing rockets through the renault 4.
    Alun wrote: »
    Also wtf was that bit on the Transit doing amidst a program concentrating on micro-cars?

He presented the concept of micro cars to reduce usage on the roads, as a sense of efficient usage. You can have more people on less roads. The transit was affective as a means of delivery, reducing the need for others to use the roads. He was playing with the idea and how it can be viewed in other ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

Just finished watching the third one, couldn't help but thinking 'excuse me, what?' through most of it.

Saw the first one - didn't see the second - which was pretty good I thought. I find commie cars quite interesting, mainly on how spectacularly shít they were. :D

And The Car of the People:
    zee Golf.
    Sure, why not.

Knew the Golf love-in was gonna come.

Bumping an old thread I know, but just in case people missed it and are suffering some Top Gear withdrawal, a new three episode second series of this started on Sunday. First episode available on BBC Player.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Good episode too. "To be good at cars, you have to lose at war", Japan and Germany Vs. Britain and the USA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Enjoyable as May always is - the contrast between Detroit and Toyota City spoke volumes about the last 40 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

A big difference with the intro for this series. It is not using Top Gear related branding anymore. Probably seems right now that as James May is now off to co-present the new show on Amazon Prime with Clarkson and Hammond.

The time would be on at 9pm every Sunday on BBC 2 if you were watching it on the telly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Enjoyed the run through some iconic 4x4s.

I enjoyed both episodes. I think the camera crews Discovery technically won the 'race' though.:D

The last episode in this series is looking interesting:
    James explores the wilder shores of motoring to discover what happened to the cars of the future that we were promised. From improbable steam cars and ludicrous jet turbines, he reveals how the petrol engine and the power it gave us came to dominate the 20th century. He takes to the waves in an amphibious car, risks his life at the wheel of a notorious electric scooter and takes a hair-raising trip in the fastest driverless car on earth.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I was expecting the i3 to have more range, really.

Advertisement