Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you have planted to hide your oil tank?

Options
  • 01-08-2014 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

I' going to tidy up the area around my oil tank and also want to plant something that will eventually hide it. The position gets a good amount of sun all day. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

I have Cotoneaster Hoizontalis growing over my oil tank. It has a tight neat habit and isn't too vigorous so is easy to keep in check.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

land mines ...just waiting for some knack to step on them...;):D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

A green privitt hedge and hazel either end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Laurel and beech around ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Souness

Clematis montana completely covers the tank. It is a bit vigorous but the flowers are nice and the birds seem to like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,297 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I built a garage around mine. Hides it perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,256 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Having had one (minor) leak and a neighbour who had to move out of their house and have all the floors dug up when a tank burst, I am acutely aware of the need to both put a reservoir (I know there is a name for it) round the base of the tank, and have the tank easily visible. If the tank had been covered in growth when it started to split I would not have seen it and would have had serious problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming. I like Clematis Montana, but it flowers for such a short period and then when it dies off you can see the tank again.

This is what I am dealing with at the moment. Have just removed a load of rubbish left behind by the previous owners, including a bike wheel, a rotting pallet and some tiles. I think for the piece between the shed and tank I'm going to put gravel and a couple of pavers so I can easily get to the gauge and then infront of the tank, put down bark and plant something.

DSCN2680_zpsf3e089b2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭dathi

looksee wrote: »
    Having had one (minor) leak and a neighbour who had to move out of their house and have all the floors dug up when a tank burst, I am acutely aware of the need to both put a reservoir (I know there is a name for it) .
    it is called a bund you can get a tank that has a bund already built into it

• Registered Users Posts: 28,256 ✭✭✭✭looksee

dathi wrote: »
    it is called a bund you can get a tank that has a bund already built into it

That's it!

OP, I will let others comment with probably more expertise but I think I would have a bit more support under that tank - I wouldn't fancy those feet balanced on those block walls.

Edit - and I would not climb anything over the tank, a bit of hedge or fencing in front of it would be a much more satisfactory job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Souness

mel.b wrote: »
    I like Clematis Montana, but it flowers for such a short period and then when it dies off you can see the tank again.

True its a short flowering plant but is quite spectacular. Mine is evergreen as I have not seen the tank in over a decade. But having read other posters comments I think I will be looking at replacing my tank and maybe an alternative way of screening it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

How about fake ivy, and maybe painting the tank to a similar colour so it's not as obvious?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

looksee wrote: »
    That's it!

OP, I will let others comment with probably more expertise but I think I would have a bit more support under that tank - I wouldn't fancy those feet balanced on those block walls.

Edit - and I would not climb anything over the tank, a bit of hedge or fencing in front of it would be a much more satisfactory job.

It depends how many walls there are. If there are at least 3, then it should be ok. Although lintols spanning between the walls would be a better job

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭bazbrady

I have a honeysuckle,its called lonicera copper beauty,evergreen,hardy and has good growth planted last year and its flying.also seen potato Chilean vine planted aswell and it looks good,but I think it can loose its leaves in hard winters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Thought I'd post my after photo here. This is the first time I have ever done any gardening or anything and am happy with how it has turned out. Now just to try and keep the dog away!

IMG_14471_zps4ad00963.jpg

Advertisement