Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking on a career in Health Care, advice needed

Options
  • 01-08-2014 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all,
    I just wanted to post and share my situation so I would be able to find some light regarding something I want to pursue. I am 33 years old and for some financial difficulties in the past I had to choose at a very early age a professional career. I became a lawyer, I was lucky enough to make big money during the time I was practising law. But money didn’t make me happy, in fact I was depressed. First, because I didn’t like law and second because I knew I will be always regretting not to study something related to science, more specifically nursing or medicine. One day (in 2010) when I was almost convinced of leaving everything behind by taking a gap year (job,family,money, assets and country) through sheer coincidence I met the person I love, my husband,an Irishman =). So I was somewhat forced to leave my country anyway To take this step wasn’t difficult as I have had already explored the possibility of taking that gap year in order to discern if I should go for a different career.
    Four years down the line ( a big gap year), I am happily living in this wonderful country, but yet still wondering if I should take the leap. I know will be impossible to become a doctor here, but I don’t care,I would be just as happy to become a nurse or a healthcare assistant.....

My question is... do you think this is a pipe dream? Am I too old to try.....?? is there somebody out there who has been through similar dilemma?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭MyNameIsMethos

You're never too old to try; there are many people who set down this route at way later stages! Though I am just under a decade younger then yourself, I have a story comparable: tried my hand at the business/legal side of things but could always hear my baby, Science&Healthcare, calling incessantly.

Like yourself, I first thought towards Nursing/Healthcare Assistant, beginning a FETAC course last September to acclimatize to the profession & ensure that it was well suited to me. Just as well I did as I found that, from my perspective anyway, nursing is not so much a scientific profession as much as being the dogs body of the hospital, the face that patients will assign all their frustration to & an angel of death of sorts; guiding each terminal patient towards acceptance of their own mortality while the doctors deal with "more important things". That's not for me: it doesn't allow for making one's own decisions towards patient care; your working life will never be your own.

So! I had a look around, and found that though it is fairly taxing to be allowed to study medicine here, that was not the only route! With my love of science there was a third route open: Biomedical Science! Though I did not reach the quota to study it as a mature student, I got into an undenominated science course which leads into Biopharmaceuticals & then plan to do a Masters in Regenerative medicine to cap it off afterwards.

My point is: there are many routes to get into the healthcare industry & if you truly want to go down that route then a bit of investigation is in order. If you wish to be more then a glorified extra pair of hands to a doctor, then I would suggest steering clear of Nursing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 nightlover83

Thanks very much for your advice. I will definitely investigate these other routes you say might be available. My heart goes for science =)... so I will rather check the best options before getting myself into something I wont enjoy. cheers ...

• Registered Users Posts: 11 breny

Hi nightlover83,

Just want to let you know your never too old. Last year I did the FETAC level 5 in Healthcare support, found this great though sometimes hard trying to juggle work, course, home life and the never ending homework.

BUT I really loved it, found it so interesting and decided I wanted to get into the healthcare industry. While doing the mandatory work experience I decided I was more than able to do this and I decided to believe in myself and this year I applied to go back to college. I did the exams and in 3 weeks I am starting a 4 year degree in Nursing.

You are only as old as you feel, I turned 41 this year and will be back in the job market at 45 so believe in yourself that you can do anything.

Breny.

Advertisement