Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gull ID

Options
  • 01-08-2014 5:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

ID on this gull anyone? phonescoped it yesterday among some adult and juv LBB Gulls by a lake here in the midlands - second/ third year GBB or Herring Gull ? I didn't think it was a LBB - note black tip to bill ? LBB's common around here in summer but not sure about this one ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

ID on this gull anyone? phonescoped it yesterday among some adult and juv LBB Gulls by a lake here in the midlands - second/ third year GBB or Herring Gull ? I didn't think it was a LBB - note black tip to bill ? LBB's common around here in summer but not sure about this one ?

Ugh, sub adult gulls :). I think it might be a first-summer Lesser BBB Gull as there appears to be some grey showing through the tertials (could be artefact of the picture though). It doesn't look chunky enough for Great BB Gull, but a little bit too hefty for Herring on the other hand. I don't think bill-colour is useful in seperating the three species at this age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

Second summer Great black backed gull. Starting to attain adult-type wing black coverts (herring gull never have upperparts as black as that). Bill heavy (LBBG has slight bill) with black subterminal markings and broad white tip. Head and underparts sparsely dark patterened. Iris is dark at this age.

Advertisement