Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

optical benefit amount

Options
  • 01-08-2014 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

HI everyone

I understand the optical benefit in say specsavers covers the eye exam and frames for €59. I have an extremely high myopia and my glass lense is very expensive. Are they covered in total or is the €59 the amount one gets back for frames plus glass in the frame? Can anyone clarify please?
    Also if I decide to make my glasses in another EU member state, do you know if that can be covered in any way, I know it is if one lives in Germany...
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I have always paid the 250 extra for the lenses:( with PRSI

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭bigmoma22

What amount does the OB cover, is that the €59 or is €59 for frames only?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭upinthesky

You get the lens and frame, but anything extra you are charged for, if you wanted anti glare or something like that.

But for a basic pair they are free, not sure on the other question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I'm in the same boat. The Optical Benefit for lenses I got was E84.30. :( Still cost me E450...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭TOMP

I have a friend with very high myopia, he gets glasses from Zenni.com with high index lenses for about 60euros. The likes of specsavers are a ripoff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭bigmoma22

never heard of ths zenni and tbh one cannot buy those online, too many variables in this case and a small thing goes wrong u r fd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭TOMP

bigmoma22 wrote: »
    never heard of ths zenni and tbh one cannot buy those online, too many variables in this case and a small thing goes wrong u r fd

Fair enough, you can continue to pay the high prices of the likes of Specsavers or you can put in a pit of effort and find out about the variables and end up paying much less for a perfectly good pair of glasses.

Advertisement