Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Gaming PC set up for use on a HDTV?

Options
  • 01-08-2014 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have been reading the forums for the past few weeks, looking for advice on a gaming PC build and all of the builds are quite similar, budget depending.

I am looking for a good gaming PC (willing to spend €1,000 - €1,200). I want to be able to play games on ultra with a good fps so was concentrating my budget on cpu (intel i5/i7) and gpu (gtx 780).

I decided to ask an IT mate to put together a build for me and this is what he came up with he said it is the best set up for playing games through a HDTV. He is obsessed with this stuff so I would be pretty confident getting what he has recommended but would appreciate your opinions on it as it is very different to what I have seen on here;

TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Netzwerkkarte/-adapter
    ready for dispatch
    34,06 €

Article No. HV0656978601DE
    Sale: Corsair Hydro Series H100i
    Single piece
    89,54 €

Article No. HV20G729DE
    8GB G.Skill RipJaws-X PC3-12800U CL10
    Delivery date unknown
    75,95 €

Article No. HVR760AXDE
    Corsair Professional Series Platinum AX760, 760W, ATX 2.31
    ready for dispatch
    146,27 €

Article No. HV203O20DE
    Corsair Obsidian 350D mit Seitenfenster, mATX, ohne Netzteil
    ready for dispatch from 2014-08-05
    96,13 €

Article No. HV1033SDDE
    Sapphire Radeon R9 280X Dual-X OC, 870MHz, 3GB GDDR5, 2x DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort, lite retail
    244,39 €

Article No. HV1150UNDE
    ASUS MAXIMUS VII GENE, Sockel 1150, mATX
    ready for dispatch
    174,29 €

Article No. HV20I32ADE
    Intel Pentium G3258 Anniversary Edition Box, 1150
    Delivery date unknown
    60,60 €

Article No. HV13WBW6DE
    WD Black 1TB SATA 6Gb/s
    68,89 €

Article No. HV12CZSKDE
    Crucial M550 SSD 512GB SATA M.2 Typ 2280
    Delivery date unknown
    188,99 €

All feedback is much appreciated! Thanks for looking!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

If you're playing on a TV then I'd make sure you're getting nice quiet components. I am a massive AMD fan boi but personally I'd look very hard at the noise level from any of their cards. That's not to say I wouldn't check very closely on nVidia as well!

That CPU is an enthusiasts wet dream but still will be a significant bottle neck - even with a great overclock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Redfox25

From looking at it, your spending far too much on the mobo and psu and no where near enough on the cpu.

Others will give you a more detailed breakdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Yep he's right, go for a z87 motherboard instead, something like this should suffice:

http://www.hardwareversand.de/en/DDR3/79672/MSI+Z87-G45+Gaming%2C+ATX%2C+Sockel+1150.article

For the CPU you should get an i5 4670k

http://www.hardwareversand.de/en/DDR3/79672/MSI+Z87-G45+Gaming%2C+ATX%2C+Sockel+1150.article

Corsair PSU 650w modular:

http://www.hardwareversand.de/en/600+-+700+Watts/141138/Corsair+CS+Series+Modular+CS650M+650W+ATX+2.3.article

The original set of components was about 380, these will cost you 375. You will see a HUGE HUGE increase in performance with that CPU compared to the one you had. There is no point getting a high-end GPU and pairing it with a low end CPU, it's like trying to put a V8 engine in a golf buggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭al.

Completely agree with sentiments above. I felt the CPU was too cheap but was assured it would more than suffice... I would rather go with the i5 myself so will take your advice on that.
    What do you think about the AMD GPU compared to a gtx 770? Are they very similar cards or would you recommend one over the other?
    He has included an ssd costing €200... would there be a benefit of paying a lot for this or would a € 100 samsung do the job (not too bothered if its half the capacity)
    Also, is there a need for the Corsair cooling kit? He lives in Oz so im thinking he had included it because of the climate over there but could be totally wrong... havnt seen it included in many of the builds here!
    Appreciate the help lads, thanks.

al. wrote: »
    Completely agree with sentiments above. I felt the CPU was too cheap but was assured it would more than suffice... I would rather go with the i5 myself so will take your advice on that.
    What do you think about the AMD GPU compared to a gtx 770? Are they very similar cards or would you recommend one over the other?
    He has included an ssd costing €200... would there be a benefit of paying a lot for this or would a € 100 samsung do the job (not too bothered if its half the capacity)
    Also, is there a need for the Corsair cooling kit? He lives in Oz so im thinking he had included it because of the climate over there but could be totally wrong... havnt seen it included in many of the builds here!
    Appreciate the help lads, thanks.

The GTX770 would be a better card, it's about 10-15% faster in most benchmarks, it also draws less power.

I'd go with the Samsung 840 EVO 240GB, I use it and it is more than adaquate. Just use the 1tb as a secondary drive where you can store music, movies, games etc. Install Windows and applications to the SSD and maybe a few games.

In my opinion the water cooler is not needed at all. It runs plenty cool on stock, but if your planning on overclocking, air is much less hassle and this fan will give you lower temps than any water cooler http://www.amazon.co.uk/NH-D14-Processor-LGA1366-LGA1156-LGA1155/dp/B002VKVZ1A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1406924233&sr=8-2&keywords=NOCTUA. But you need to get low profile ram because the heatsink is quite large on it. There are definitely cheaper alternatives for air cooling though, just depends on how you'll be using the CPU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Not a fan of the build.

Mobo too expensive.

CPU is good. But not on that budget. Should be getting an Intel I processor .

Not a fan of the build.

Mobo too expensive.

Thanks for the advice mate, sorry for my ignorance but what is the mobo?

When you say Intel I processor are you referring to an i5 or i7 or is there another one I should be looking out for?

Not a fan of the build.

Mobo too expensive.

Thanks for the advice mate, sorry for my ignorance but what is the mobo?

When you say Intel I processor are you referring to an i5 or i7 or is there another one I should be looking out for?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭shamelessidiot

Unless you're really going for max performance and speeds, there isn't really any need for an SSD. As others have said, far too much on the MoBo and PSU, which could be spent elsewhere. The network adapter is also pretty pricey for what it is.

Here is a contrasting black/white build I've been messing around with on PPP:
    http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/y3MRYJ

Not suggesting you buy it, but might be worth a look at.

Unless you're really going for max performance and speeds, there isn't really any need for an SSD. As others have said, far too much on the MoBo and PSU, which could be spent elsewhere. The network adapter is also pretty pricey for what it is.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/y3MRYJ

I disagree on the SSD. I think they are completely worth it, it's a major difference for overall performance and the general responsiveness of the PC. Apps launch instantly, windows boots fully in about 10 seconds and games will load much quicker.

• Advertisement

This build looks more like my original build but when I asked a friend for advice he came up with the build I posted above.
    Think I will take the aadvice ive been getting on here and upgrade cpu, drop mobo and get cheaper psu etc.
    Will defo get the ssd tho... from what I have read its worth it.
    Are u sure u need 16gb RAM? From reading threads here, 8gb seems to be more than enough for most people?

Lukker- wrote: »
    I disagree on the SSD. I think they are completely worth it, it's a major difference for overall performance and the general responsiveness of the PC. Apps launch instantly, windows boots fully in about 10 seconds and games will load much quicker.

Agree. Is it worth spending 200 euro on the one i have in my opening post or are they all quite similar?

Lukker- wrote: »

Agree. Is it worth spending 200 euro on the one i have in my opening post or are they all quite similar?

I'd go for the Samsung 840 250 GB, should be plenty.

You only need 8gb of ram too.

Advertisement