Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Ties and 7 years living in an area to build

Options
  • 01-08-2014 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi,

We had a pre-planning meeting recently where the planner was dubious about our local ties to the townland where we wish to build.

My husband and I are looking to build on a site belonging to his father that is part of his farm. It is a few kilometers (less than 10 mins) drive from where we are renting now. This area where we wish to build has been in my husband's family for several generations and he helps his father farm it and rents a building here that he uses for his own business. His parents live a couple of kilometres away so the nearest family member is his elderly aunt who lives approx 1 km from the site. My OH also is involved in the local sports club (in the nearest town not in that townland).

The problem is we have not lived there for 7 years (Sustainable Rural Housing Guidelines 2005). Has anyone encountered this issue when applying for planning permission ?

I'm a little frustrated because it's not like we've just landed in the area.

The house design was liked but the site is elevated so that was issue no. 2. I'm trying to be positive but really need to hear from others who had similar experiences.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭Deano7

If he is farming the land they cant object to him building on his own farm land. Herd number, etc may be required.

Advertisement