Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting a new bike

Options
  • 01-08-2014 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭

As my cycling has gotten more serious. Started off as 4km daily for months and then to 15km cycles and yesterday I did my first 45km. (The furthest I'd done before that was 17km).
    I'm interested in getting a road bike.
    I've been cycling in a coyote Everglades hybrid bike and its been good but I've just heard so much good things about road bikes and I've always wanted one.

I've been looking at the carrera virtuoso 2015 model in halfords which seems like a great bike and its in my price range. But its only 16 speed,my hybrid has 24 and the triple chainring. I cycle in a very hilly place with loads of steep climbs and rolling hills. And while I cycle mainly on my second chainring there are times when I have to drop to the first. Will it make much of a difference to my cycling not having 3 rings?
    Also does anyone have any opinions on this particular road bike?there's not many reviews on it yet as its the new model.

As an off topic,when I was doing the 45km after about 30 my hands starting getting uncomfortable and my fingers we're cramping,is there any way of avoiding that or getting rid of it?I already wear cycling gloves

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

What is your budget?

In relation to the pain you are experiencing on longer rides, this is most likely down to you bike setup and position. All of which can be altered on the road bike should you buy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭EmcD123

logik wrote: »
    What is your budget?

In relation to the pain you are experiencing on longer rides, this is most likely down to you bike setup and position. All of which can be altered on the road bike should you buy one.

My budget was 350-450. I stretched it higher after seeing the virtuoso as it was a better deal imo than the tdf in halfords. I haven't seen any other roads bikes yet in that range that didn't get very bad reviews. 450 really is the highest I can go though.

I think my current bikes frame is too small for me and saddle is too low haha it was second hand and I didn't want it for serious cycling at the time

While the Virtuoso is a heavy bike, i cant really fault them for the price. They come with the Sora groupset and are a solid bike. What height are you? For 450 euro you would get a Trek 1.1, 1.2 etc on Donedeal which would be a far better bike than the Virtuoso.

Done deal has very little in galway. Does done deal work with the bike to work scheme? I was planning on using it to get this bike,my budget is still low on it because I do still have to pay it back haha but that's mainly why I'm looking in halfords instead of done deal or eBay

No, donedeal does not work with BTWS as it is primarily a second hand website like buy and sell. If you are willing to travel you would pick up a great bargin. One quick search and I can see a number of bikes that would be better than the Virtuoso.

If you cannot/will not travel, then the Virtuoso is decent for a starter bike.

• Advertisement

logik wrote: »
    No, donedeal does not work with BTWS as it is primarily a second hand website like buy and sell. If you are willing to travel you would pick up a great bargin. One quick search and I can see a number of bikes that would be better than the Virtuoso.

If you cannot/will not travel, then the Virtuoso is decent for a starter bike.

Travel to where? It would have to come back on a bus though if I got from somewhere else. Could you link some of the bikes you've found. I'm not really any good at finding these things. I just went through all the bike shops in the city to see what I could find and that was the best bike that was in my budget

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

You can't get cycle to work on a second hand bike, but still worth it imo.

Link below is to one that is already sold for €370, but if you compare that to the specs on the halfords bike you would be far better off. No cycle to work rebate but you get a bike that will last you longer before you can no longer fight the urge to upgrade.

.adverts.ie/road-bikes/boardman-comp-road-bike-8-8kg/6053526

I bought a hybrid on cycle to work, cost just south of the cap with gear, so I paid 480 or so in real terms. I subsequently bought a road bike that is several times as good scond hand for 350 - no question which was better value.

hmm seems i am too new to post a link but put three "w"s in front of the link above and you will see the one I mean.

I dont have enough money to give straight up for a bike that's the problem. So bike to work gives me a chance to get a bike that cost more than 200 and not leave myself too stretched. So alternative suggestions would have to be new bikes available in a shop. I know the virtuoso is almost 2kg lighter than my bike and nearly everything in it is an upgrade.
    The only other decent bikes I could find in the shops were a 550 at the cheapest and the next from 550 was 650. All of which is way too expensive

EmcD123 wrote: »
    I dont have enough money to give straight up for a bike that's the problem. So bike to work gives me a chance to get a bike that cost more than 200 and not leave myself too stretched. So alternative suggestions would have to be new bikes available in a shop. I know the virtuoso is almost 2kg lighter than my bike and nearly everything in it is an upgrade.
    The only other decent bikes I could find in the shops were a 550 at the cheapest and the next from 550 was 650. All of which is way too expensive

Ah ok, I understand. If that is the case then yes by all means go with a Carrera from Halfords or something similar from your LBS.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

You do realise that a bike costing 550 in a shop will end up costing you less than €300 on the BTW scheme (if your in the highest tax bracket) and it is spread over a 12 month period so you only actually pay €6 a week.

• Advertisement

I'm on the lower bracket. The 450 bike is 6 a week. Plus the 550 one I saw I've never even heard of the make before.i cant remember what its called either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭gooner99

If you can go for the cycle to work scheme, then that's what I would do in conjunction with your LBS.They will likely give you a further discount too, mine did on a Giant Defy 2.

If you want to go new then your talking entry level.my young lad and his cousin got 2 bikes in the last week.

My young lad 12 got a carrera TDF on a special for €249. For the money you can't fault it.Ok it is a little heavy,but not too bad in his size 51 and the gears are tourney 14 speed.

My nephew 16 went for the Vitus Razor from Chain Reactions for €499. Again a lot of bike for the money,well built with decent kit.It's got carbon forks which makes is pretty light.I held both his on my Defy 2 at the same time and I can't see any difference in the weight, granted his is 54 and mine is 56. The gears are 16 speed claris, which shift nicely.He finds them great,but I found myself looking for more probably due to being used to 20 speed tiagra on the Giant. The Razor VR gives 18 speed, but alas it comes in at €550 which is a bit far over your budget. Can't fault the way they delivered the bike,well protected and pretty much fully built,just attach the handle bar, reflectors and pedals. They even supplied an allen key set and pedal wrench.

If you want something higher end and can't get the cycle to work scheme, then I agree you are probably best to go 2nd hand.We didn't really have much choice as there seemed to be frig all available in our area.

gooner99 wrote: »
    If you can go for the cycle to work scheme, then that's what I would do in conjunction with your LBS.They will likely give you a further discount too, mine did on a Giant Defy 2.

If you want to go new then your talking entry level.my young lad and his cousin got 2 bikes in the last week.

My young lad 12 got a carrera TDF on a special for €249. For the money you can't fault it.Ok it is a little heavy,but not too bad in his size 51 and the gears are tourney 14 speed.

My nephew 16 went for the Vitus Razor from Chain Reactions for €499. Again a lot of bike for the money,well built with decent kit.It's got carbon forks which makes is pretty light.I held both his on my Defy 2 at the same time and I can't see any difference in the weight, granted his is 54 and mine is 56. The gears are 16 speed claris, which shift nicely.He finds them great,but I found myself looking for more probably due to being used to 20 speed tiagra on the Giant. The Razor VR gives 18 speed, but alas it comes in at €550 which is a bit far over your budget. Can't fault the way they delivered the bike,well protected and pretty much fully built,just attach the handle bar, reflectors and pedals. They even supplied an allen key set and pedal wrench.

If you want something higher end and can't get the cycle to work scheme, then I agree you are probably best to go 2nd hand.We didn't really have much choice as there seemed to be frig all available in our area.

Thanks for that reply there was a lot of information there. Is that vitus razor available with the scheme and where could I get it?
    I looked at the TDF but I just thought if I was going to buy from halfords then the virtuoso would be better considering I'm getting it with the scheme

Thanks for that reply there was a lot of information there. Is that vitus razor available with the scheme and where could I get it?
    I looked at the TDF but I just thought if I was going to buy from halfords then the virtuoso would be better considering I'm getting it with the scheme

The Vitus is only available online at Chain Reactions. But I think on the paperwork I received it said registered for vat in Rep of Ireland (I'll take another look later), so there is a good chance they may do. Sure give them a call and see what they say, they were friendly and helpful when I called. Yes the virtuoso is a nice bike, saw one when I was in.One thing with halfords is to keep a good eye on the net, as the prices are constantly changing, I got my sons for €249, before that it was €320 and just after I reserved it went down to €245. All the time it was still €320 in store. So reserve on the net may work out cheapest. But then again in store you can use an Axa card or discount code you can get online to get 10% off. I couldn't use it as I was told that I had already received an online discount. There may even be bank holiday specials online or instore this weekend. Any questions at all you have on the Vitus give me a shout.

gooner99 wrote: »
    The Vitus is only available online at Chain Reactions. But I think on the paperwork I received it said registered for vat in Rep of Ireland (I'll take another look later), so there is a good chance they may do. Sure give them a call and see what they say, they were friendly and helpful when I called. Yes the virtuoso is a nice bike, saw one when I was in.One thing with halfords is to keep a good eye on the net, as the prices are constantly changing, I got my sons for €249, before that it was €320 and just after I reserved it went down to €245. All the time it was still €320 in store. So reserve on the net may work out cheapest. But then again in store you can use an Axa card or discount code you can get online to get 10% off. I couldn't use it as I was told that I had already received an online discount. There may even be bank holiday specials online or instore this weekend. Any questions at all you have on the Vitus give me a shout.

Ya the halfords website is giving me a 40 euro discount on the virtuoso from reserving online. I'll have a look at the Vitus though before I reserve the other bike

Ya the halfords website is giving me a 40 euro discount on the virtuoso from reserving online. I'll have a look at the Vitus though before I reserve the other bike

Yeah I see the virtousa has Sora gearing. Not 100% sure if they are the old thump shifter type or the newer model. The new 2015 model seems to have claris 16 speed gearing. New sora is 18 speed as far as I know.New claris and sora don't have the thumb shifters anymore.

I also see a felt on wiggle for €513 with sora gearing.not really sure how reliable wiggle are, but I think felt are a pretty well known brand.

Advertisement