Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who controls the Barrow Bridge?

Options
  • 01-08-2014 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Question for you all: Who is responsible for controlling the swinging span of the barrow bridge to let cargo ships get into New Ross?

New Ross only seems to get 1 or 2 ships a month. How does the job work exactly?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭hairybelly

some info here

Thanks. Interesting that there's a specific mobile phone for the bridge itself.
    Is there somebody on call on a roster to head out to the bridge if it needs to be swung? Or is it manned 24/7?

The impression I got was that you had to inform them well in advance so someone was present to operate it, otherwise it would be uncontrolled.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

hairybelly wrote: »
    Thanks. Interesting that there's a specific mobile phone for the bridge itself.
    Is there somebody on call on a roster to head out to the bridge if it needs to be swung? Or is it manned 24/7?

The impression I got was that you had to inform them well in advance so someone was present to operate it, otherwise it would be uncontrolled.
    i'd imagine its prob an on call rota as there is only about two ships a week pass up through it, you should ring the number and ask more info, but i'd imagine the company operating it charge per swing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

acording to this it is maned 24hrs a day and opening is free

http://www.newrossboatyard.com/barrowbridge.html
    The Waterford to Rosslare rail line crosses the river Barrow, between Killkenny and Wexford, just north of Cheekpoint. A boat entering or leaving the Barrow river system must contact the Barrow Bridge (086-8167826) to open the bridge. The Barrow Bridge is manned 24 hours a day but it is advised to call in advance of your journey. The lift of the Barrow Bridge is free of charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

The opening of the bridge is controlled by Iarnrod Eireann.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Sparky84

Passed through it last year coming from New Ross boatyard. We just rang ahead and were not charged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

Is there are charge for other bridges e.g. Liffey bridges?

East Link is 'broken' at the moment (or was up last week).

Advertisement