Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Hire Westport

Options
  • 31-07-2014 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. Myself and the GF are headed to Westport for the long weekend. Am hoping to rent or borrow a road/mtb bike for a day? Any experience/ideas? Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

I used Clew Bay Bike Hire for a couple of days last year and found their service very good. They use decent Giant hybrid bikes which are easy and comfortable to use around the town and on the Greenway route. They've electric bikes too.

They also provide a shuttle service if you want to start of in Newport or Achill and cycle back towards Westport.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tacklemore

We used Clew Bay bike hire ourselves. They have 4 outlets along the green way route so if you have a problem or just want to go home, the options are there for you.
    Also, one of the fella who runs it does Ironman races.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Maidhci

Clew Bay Bike Hire are excellent, great service, very accommodating and extremely competitive. They use qood quality Giant hybrid bikes. Also, another bike hire shop has opened up in the town centre, near Clew Bay Hotel - it also appears impressive, good quality bikes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭ba

Thanks guys.
    A lot of the bike rental companies only offer hybrids, not my cup of tea for an 84km round trip on the Greenway. But will head across to Westport and hopefully get something nicer. Clew Bay bike Hire were very nice and have me provisionally booked for an adults hybrid which will have to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

Ho much is the bike? According to the booking website it's 40 large for one bike.

Is this correct?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

ba wrote: »
    Thanks guys.
    A lot of the bike rental companies only offer hybrids, not my cup of tea for an 84km round trip on the Greenway. But will head across to Westport and hopefully get something nicer. Clew Bay bike Hire were very nice and have me provisionally booked for an adults hybrid which will have to do.

Just watch out if get a road bike as some of the Greenway has a loose surface in parts. I cycle a MTB all the time and found the hybrid bike okay for a few hours in the saddle. Not the lightest of bikes but comfortable enough with a large saddle and suspension in the seat post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Ho much is the bike? According to the booking website it's 40 large for one bike.

Is this correct?
    40 is for the electric bikes. thats what it is in the 'Westport bike shop' anyway about 15 for a normal peddler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

I used Clew Bay myself a couple of years ago and if I remember correctly, it was €15 for the bike and €5 if you wanted to get picked up from Achill.

Yeah I was quoted €30 for Saturday and Sunday. And saw another shop price €15 for one day.
    Arrived down here just now. Won't be renting a bike after all. Squeezed my road bike in the back of my girlfriends mini...and smashed the flat screen telly she was transporting down! Sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Maidhci

As an earlier contributor has posted, the Greenway surface is not really suitable for a roadbike. I cycle both hybrid and road bike and would not consider the Greenway surface at all suitable to cycle on a roadbike.

• Advertisement

Great. Will report tomorrow on how a road bike performs on the Greenway.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

It's ok on 25s but 23s would be difficult in places.

Just back after doing the Greenway on 700x23s. No punctures. No hastle. The paths are predominantly tarmac and fine-gravel that's very well compacted. There's a few spots of potholes, deep gravel and worn gravel, but v few.

Next time though I'd brings my cyclocross bike for taking short cuts etc. Or fit 25s or 27s just for that bit more comfort. But if you're stuck with 23s it's grand.

Advertisement