Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GBB coming to Limerick :)

Options
  • 31-07-2014 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭

Thankfully decent beer on tap is coming to the Treaty City. They just announced it on FB. Anyone know where the bar is going to be? Looking forward to the opening. The blind Pig is great but an alternative is needed down here!

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Great news! Looking forward to hearing more about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Very good news, dont like the Blind Pig at all, it will be a good excuse for a trip down. Is The Crafty Fox still going?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Not in this forum but saw it in latest threads
    Brother in the trade was told they are taking over the crafty fox

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭squonk

That'd make sense. The Crafty Fox seems to have gone MIA in the past while. They are still open but I attempted to call in one Thursday evening during the World Cup to find the place closed at 7:30 in the evening with no sign indicating they were opening later or not.

Hopefully they'll do the usual GBB setup and ditch the stupid loud bands the Crafty Fox insisted on. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens. At least we can rely on CBB to have anything on tap in stock and a regular turnover of guest beers as well.

The Blind Pig is grand but a bit quiet. I like what they're doing but their taps are fairly conventional. I like my craft on draught if I can get it but the bottles were a good alternative.

All in all I'm delighted. I loved the GBB bars in Galway. I've only been to the Black Sheep in Dublin but it was pretty good. This could be a very positive addition to bar life in Limerick!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

My Favourite Beer only pub of theirs is The Salthouse and my favourite food one is Against the Grain. A nice Hybrid between the two would be nice I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Beer Baron wrote: »
    My Favourite Beer only pub of theirs is The Salthouse and my favourite food one is Against the Grain. A nice Hybrid between the two would be nice I think.

I don't understand what you mean - either it will have a kitchen or it won't. If it has not kitchen it will be "beer only", if it has one it will be a "food one".

What would a hybrid be? Sell crisps?

I actually wouldn't mind seeing a few pubs start selling proper pork scratchings (not bacon fries!!), they go amazingly with beer.

My favorite of theirs is the Salt House. I haven't been in many outside of Galway. Just really the Black Sheep so far. Wasn't overly mad about ti but I was there for the beer really.

Crafty Fox, if it's true, might only be good for Beer Only. It's not huge. The layout isn't that big for selling food really. That said, there's a large area taken up with a stage right now that could be maybe reclaimed. The Fox does the craft beer ting but also had fairly loud bands in, so they kinda tried to be a party bar and a craft bar. Hopefully GBB will dispense with the loud band stuff. It didn't really work.

Can't say I know alot about craft beer but have been in a few places.Crafty fox and blind pig no atmosphere and staff either rude or too cool for school

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

bigpink wrote: »
    Can't say I know alot about craft beer but have been in a few places.Crafty fox and blind pig no atmosphere and staff either rude or too cool for school

Ah now. The Crafty Fox had some fantastic staff when it first opened. Some of them didn't know a lot about the beers but they tried their best. You couldn't blame them for the atmosphere (that was down to the bad music set-up).

And the Blind Pig is my favourite bar, so I won't hear a bad word about it. :P Sadly, people seem to think "hipster" or anything that isn't based on the Spin Southwest play-list is a valid negative criticism these days.

• Advertisement

Not much bad to say about the Blind Pig myself. I've always got interesting beers in there but I'm not usually around weekends so wander in on a Thursday night and I find it a bit quiet in there around then. I'd also like if they did some guest draught beers that swapped over even every month. The draught choices in there aren't the greatest. That being said the Salt House in Galway is what I'm comparing to. I LOVE that place. The Blind Pig are definitely doing a good job though! I'm delighted theyre' there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Cottage bar has the best food

Sounds like it will be a big blow for the blind pig when it opens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

not a bit of it, Limerick is large enough to support more than one Craft pub.

Is mickeys a craft pub

You are outrageously pessimistic.

We'll need them both! Can't be going to the same spot always! Mickeys does have some interesting stuff alright. Wouldn't describe them as a Craft Pub but they've a good bit of a craft choice

Advertisement