Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC build - no display

Options
  • 31-07-2014 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭

I've just tried building my first PC in about 15 years, and I'm having some issues.
    I *think* I've installed everything correctly, but I can't get any display (POST) to show up when I plug it in. It's very possible that I may have missed something very obvious though! Any thoughts on what I can do to troubleshoot?
    So far I've only reset the CMOS, and I've tried playing around with moving the sticks of RAM.
    I've tried connecting to a monitor both with HDMI and VGA. I've confirmed the monitor works with my laptop.

Here are the parts I used:

Asus H81I-PLUS Motherboard (Socket 1150, Intel H81, DDR3, S-ATA 600, Mini ITX, PCI Express 2.0, HDMI, USB 3.0)
    Corsair Builder Series CX 430 Watt ATX/EPS 80 PLUS Bronze Power Supply Unit
    Intel i3 4150 Dual Core CPU (3.50GHz, 3MB Cache, 54W, Graphics, Virtualization Technology, Socket 1150)
    WD 2TB 6Gbps SATA III Hard Disk Drive - Green
    Cooler Master Elite 110 - Mini-ITX Small Form Factor Computer Case, Supports standard ATX PSU - Black, USB 3.0
    Corsair Ballistix RAM CT4834425 BLS2CP2G3D1609DS1S00CEU.8FER2 UPGRADE FOR A ASUS H81I-PLUS SYSTEM

When I turn it on, the fans come on, the LED lights up green and that's about it.
    Any help would be appreciated as I'm a bit stumped as to what to do next.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

fjon wrote: »
    I've just tried building my first PC in about 15 years, and I'm having some issues.
    I *think* I've installed everything correctly, but I can't get any display (POST) to show up when I plug it in. It's very possible that I may have missed something very obvious though! Any thoughts on what I can do to troubleshoot?
    So far I've only reset the CMOS, and I've tried playing around with moving the sticks of RAM.
    I've tried connecting to a monitor both with HDMI and VGA. I've confirmed the monitor works with my laptop.

Here are the parts I used:

Asus H81I-PLUS Motherboard (Socket 1150, Intel H81, DDR3, S-ATA 600, Mini ITX, PCI Express 2.0, HDMI, USB 3.0)
    Corsair Builder Series CX 430 Watt ATX/EPS 80 PLUS Bronze Power Supply Unit
    Intel i3 4150 Dual Core CPU (3.50GHz, 3MB Cache, 54W, Graphics, Virtualization Technology, Socket 1150)
    WD 2TB 6Gbps SATA III Hard Disk Drive - Green
    Cooler Master Elite 110 - Mini-ITX Small Form Factor Computer Case, Supports standard ATX PSU - Black, USB 3.0
    Corsair Ballistix RAM CT4834425 BLS2CP2G3D1609DS1S00CEU.8FER2 UPGRADE FOR A ASUS H81I-PLUS SYSTEM

When I turn it on, the fans come on, the LED lights up green and that's about it.
    Any help would be appreciated as I'm a bit stumped as to what to do next.

Do you have the motherboard speaker connected? Any beeps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

I have the same case, PSU and motherboard in my build, but an older i3 CPU.

Like Lu Tze said you should be getting a beep when you hit the power button. If not then something may not be connected correctly. Don't forget there are TWO power connections from the Corsair PSU to the motherboard (one for CPU and the other for the board).

Take the case off and power up again; is the HD definitely spinning up? You're seeing the green light on the motherboard?

Failing all of that, you unfortunately may need to update the BIOS on the motherboard to support newer Haswell CPUs. Your CPU was launched Q2 2014 and this motherboard was originally launched in 2013. You will need to temporarily source an older CPU to use on the motherboard in order to perform the BIOS update, then you're set. You might find someone on this forum based in Dublin who can help. Asus support page is here.

When I finished my own build a few weeks back I had 20 minutes of panic where the thing would turn on, I'd get a beep, but nothing on the display. As it turns out I didn't have the HDMI plug connected properly.. this doesn't sound like your issue though because you've also tried analogue. Unfortunately it may be the BIOS on your motherboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

I got this board from amazon a few weeks back it had the bios 0803 on it which should work with the haswell refresh chips. If it's an older bios you will have problems like you are describing...... not sure if the bios chip is labeled with the bios version as per the picture here - http://www.asrock.com/support/index.asp?cat=FindBIOS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Ok, thanks so much for all the help! I think I know why it's not working now:
    On the sticker on the motherboard it shows 0709, which I assume is the BIOS version. According to this it looks like this is one version previous to 0803, which introduced support for Haswell.
    I guess there's no other way to update the BIOS other than with a loan of another CPU?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

Older haswell cpu required or replace the bios chip. Where did you buy it ?

• Advertisement

Damn. I got it from Amazon, and their returns are pretty good. However, I could just get the exact same motherboard again if I return it.
    Guess I'll see if I can borrow a CPU chip somewhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭almorris

Can you not load a bios update from a disk or usb stick? Not that I know anything.

My mum has an old (maybe 5 year old) Dell desktop that she isn't using. This is probably a stupid question, but can I borrow the CPU from that, or is it too old? What do I need to watch put for, other than making sure it's a Intel?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭game4it70

No chance as haswell is only out about 18 months or so.

I might be able to let you use my 4670k over the weekend if that helps.Where are you based?

almorris wrote: »
    Can you not load a bios update from a disk or usb stick? Not that I know anything.

You can, but you still need an operational CPU in order to process the update and flash the BIOS (AFAIK). Yu certainly don't need to go to the trouble of installing an OS in order to update the BIOS.
    My mum has an old (maybe 5 year old) Dell desktop that she isn't using. This is probably a stupid question, but can I borrow the CPU from that, or is it too old? What do I need to watch put for, other than making sure it's a Intel?

I think you just need to make sure it's a socket 1150 CPU. I'm not sure if particularly old CPUs can be used on more modern motherboards since the CPU provides the integrated graphics etc as well.

Any Dublin boardsies who could lend fjon a non-refresh Haswell CPU for 5 minutes? ;-)

• Advertisement

game4it70 wrote: »
    No chance as haswell is only out about 18 months or so.

I might be able to let you use my 4670k over the weekend if that helps.Where are you based?

oh that would be great! I am in Cabinteely so Ballinteer is really close. If that would be ok I could pick it up from you whenever suits.
    Are you sure it would work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭game4it70

Going by your link above with the dates of the bios updates and the cpu support list it does look like it needs an update for your cpu to work.Its lists needing 0803 for the Core i3-4150.
    So it does look like thats your problem.

Be aware that flashing the bios can be risky and it can brink your mobo if it fails.
    You dont really have much choice though.

I'll send you a pm later and we can make arrangements for you to use my cpu.

So after some experimenting with game4it70 yesterday it looks like we may possibly have a dead CPU, which I'm lead to believe is something very rare indeed. We tried with his i5 4670 CPU and everything worked perfectly. However, even after updating to 0803 firmware we still couldn't get any response with mine.

I've initiated a return with Amazon, and just to make sure I'll the same CPU wheresmybeaver used.

I'll update this thread once I receive this in case anyone has a similar problem in future!

This is the closest CPU I can find: i3 4130

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-Extended-Technology-Execute-Disable/dp/B00EF1G98W/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1407235209&sr=1-1&keywords=i3

Would there be much difference in this and the one I previously had (i3 4150)?

This is the closest CPU I can find: i3 4130

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-Extended-Technology-Execute-Disable/dp/B00EF1G98W/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1407235209&sr=1-1&keywords=i3

Would there be much difference in this and the one I previously had (i3 4150)?

Your existing one: i3 4150 @ 3.50Ghz which has a CPU mark of 5049 and HD graphics 4400
    My own: i3 4330 @ 3.5Ghz which has a CPU mark of 5100 and HD graphics 4600
    Your suggested one: i3 4130 @ 3.4Ghz which has a CPU mark of 4821 and HD graphics 4400

I suppose they're all largely the same; my 4330 cost 122 off dabs.ie last month so your suggestion of the 4150 works out a good bit cheaper for very little difference in performance. I don't think there's any difference between HD graphics 4400 and 4600.

Advertisement