Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice spot for Dinner?

Options
  • 31-07-2014 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi,

I'm looking for somewhere for a Sunday Lunch. Not looking for uber Posh, someone mentioned --> viewmounthouse.com/index.php?page=vm-food

but the pics are putting me off.

You'd come out hungry and €30 worse off, lol.

It's for a Birthday so was trying to avoid Pub type places, maybe....Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

erto wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm looking for somewhere for a Sunday Lunch. Not looking for uber Posh, someone mentioned --> viewmounthouse.com/index.php?page=vm-food

but the pics are putting me off.

You'd come out hungry and €30 worse off, lol.

It's for a Birthday so was trying to avoid Pub type places, maybe....Any suggestions?

Hands down the nicest place to eat is in tarmonbarry 15 minutes out the road in a place called The Purple Onion. Failing that then The Black Olive on main street but the food is better in The Purple Onion.

Better food again can be had in Glasson in a place called The Fatted Calf but that's not in Longford. Still the drive is worthwhile for the sake of a birthday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 erto

Hands down the nicest place to eat is in tarmonbarry 15 minutes out the road in a place called The Purple Onion. Failing that then The Black Olive on main street but the food is better in The Purple Onion.

Better food again can be had in Glasson in a place called The Fatted Calf but that's not in Longford. Still the drive is worthwhile for the sake of a birthday.

Thanks alot.

Do you have to reserve in any of them?

erto wrote: »
    Thanks alot.

Do you have to reserve in The Purple Onion?

I've never had to myself but I think they'd appreciate it. I'm not sure of their opening times but their number is 043 3359919 going by their business card.

Edit: You don't have to reserve in any of them really but it might be advised for The Fatted Calf. Don't have their number to hand, should be on the web somewhere.

The black olive is 043 3336248 again going by their business card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

Had lunch/dinner in Coys last week, it was really nice, pleasantly surprised actually. Calling in again today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

Had lunch/dinner in Coys last week, it was really nice, pleasantly surprised actually. Calling in again today :)

Had lunch yesterday (Sunday) in Coy's. Wasn't impressed. Service was excellent, very fast. Food was hot, but very bland. Average quality. Next time I'll go further for Sunday lunch, probably try Tarmonbarry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

lifer_sean wrote: »
    Had lunch yesterday (Sunday) in Coy's. Wasn't impressed. Service was excellent, very fast. Food was hot, but very bland. Average quality. Next time I'll go further for Sunday lunch, probably try Tarmonbarry.

I'd say it depends on the dish, I went again last week and would say I had a similar experience to you. It's grand for what you pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I find Keenans much nicer plus the guy that runs the purple onion is a ignorant yoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭may06

Truckermal wrote: »
    I find Keenans much nicer plus the guy that runs the purple onion is a ignorant yoke.

Nothing could be further from the truth....Purple Onion is a lovely spot, excellent food, exceptionally well run with lovely staff and owners.

Truckermal wrote: »

Not seen this either, only two places I'd eat around Longford would be The Purple Onion in tarmonbarry or The Fatted Calf in Glasson. All other places pale in comparison for the quality of food for the price.

That said I've eaten in Keenans and it's fine, I'd just vastly prefer next door.

Never had problems with the staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scudster

Nobody has mentioned the Aubergiene? Now that is in Longford and its tasty. Good value and they have lots of craft beers if youre into that sort of thing. One of their beers is a Longford brew too.
    Located upstairs between Boots and Durkins.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I'm quite a fan of the Aubergine, haven't gotten to go there in a good while though. It'd probably be my favourite spot in Longford.

scudster wrote: »
    Nobody has mentioned the Aubergiene? Now that is in Longford and its tasty. Good value and they have lots of craft beers if youre into that sort of thing. One of their beers is a Longford brew too.
    Located upstairs between Boots and Durkins.

My only issue with the Aubergine is that the menu is always the same. I've been there about four times this year for lunch and the menu is always the same.

Also wish the portion sizes were just that little bit larger and they made fresh chips instead of frozen ones. But these last two points are just personal preference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Aubrey loves Joe

Aubergine is fine. It wouldn't over excite you or anything. What they do they do well. Was in Viewmount Saturday and it was unreal. It has been a long time since I enjoyed food like that.

Advertisement