Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheap gaming rig, worth it?

Options
  • 31-07-2014 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭

Found this for sale for about 400, I game mostly on my ps3, 4, xbox but have been using my laptop more and more and it has been fine for the likes of Arkham origins etc but recent games like watchdogs are a no go so I fancied getting a dedicated rig (but has to be cheap) - Worth it for the next few years?

brand new case, long life caps on mobo,
    amd phenom 9850 quad core 2.5ghz,
    8 gb kingston ram,
    3gb gddr5 (samsung) nvidia gtx 660
    with 2x hdmi, bluetooth, wifi N,
    2tb hdd with recovery
    multi burner dvd with light scribe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭djerk

its not too bad for 400 quid.. the only weak point i can see is the cpu. it scores about half in benchmarks compared to an i5 for example. ive a phenom x3 710 2.6ghz however and that runs most games pretty well but some newer games will utilise the 4th core, my only issue is the graphics card is getting a bit dated atm (1gb hd4890). ideally, a processor should run around 3.2/3.4ghz to remove any bottlenecks between the cpu/gpu. you pay for what you get really..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Processor is going to be a very bad bottleneck. I wouldn't waste money on that build to be honest. Build a budget rig, would serve you far better. 400-ish would build you a decent gaming machine. Just an example below:

CPU: Fx6300 (90)
    GPU: GTX750 (100)
    Ram: 8GB (65)
    Case: Zalman T4 (25)
    PSU: Evga white 450w (35)
    Mobo: basic matx (50)
    HDD: 1TB (50)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

Processor is going to be a very bad bottleneck. I wouldn't waste money on that build to be honest. Build a budget rig, would serve you far better. 400-ish would build you a decent gaming machine. Just an example below:

CPU: Fx6300 (90)
    GPU: GTX750 (100)
    Ram: 8GB (65)
    Case: Zalman T4 (25)
    PSU: Evga white 450w (35)
    Mobo: basic matx (50)
    HDD: 1TB (50)

The graphics card is inferior.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Drop back to a Pentium G3258, and you can easily up that to a 750 Ti.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Occono wrote: »
    The graphics card is inferior.

Yes, but it would still be a much faster rig overall comprised of brand new parts, and would still perform faster in most games. The pc in the OP is long dead platform and very slow by modern standards.

The other option as suggested is a G3258 (or just the G3220) and a faster card.

either way I'd rather a GTX750 and Fx6300 any day of the week over the machine posted - it's no good for modern gaming, the cpu is a terrible bottleneck even if you overclocked it heavily.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 AesisVanex

Like others said the only problem with it would be the CPU which has a pretty low clockspeed. You could buy that build because it's pretty damn good for the price, and update the BIOS then buy a brand new CPU that's faster. Although that MOBO is AM2+, AM3 CPUs can infact be used. Look around, find a faster one that suits your budget and pop it in.

Advertisement