Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading PC

Options
  • 31-07-2014 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

I was thinking about upgrading my PC in the next month, so I was hoping some help. I'm going to go with an i7, and I was thinking about going for the 4790.

So what I need help with: Is this a good choice of processor, and which motherboard should I get with it? (I usually go with ASUS, just not sure which one, I'm a long time AMD user)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

4790K without the K? The K is the overclockable version.

Get yourself a good Z97 motherboard. Have a look around at the features that you want and see if there's any reviews to back it up. Sometimes the low end don't overclock that well. On the other hand, don't overspend. If you're never going to use multiple graphics cards, don't bother with the higher end boards, some with expensive features that realistically is never going to be of that much use in comparison to spending more in other areas.

Asus are a bit mixed back in recent times. Their high end boards are always good, but their mid and lower boards can be variable. I haven't read any reviews from their Z97s this time, so it's not best to go in with bias as a company can turn around inside a generation or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭connorfleming

Okay I've decided to go with an i7 4790k instead of just the 4790, which motherboard would you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Different places have different prices for motherboards. Generally best to go for maybe the second cheapest model in the line. Most of the brands are generally reliable enough. I usually pick MSI these days as they've been fairly solid. Asrock can be very competitive with pricing and gigabyte throw out a few good models for the money now and again. Asus always have some good top end boards. There's few reviews out at the moment for the Z97s, I'm assuming it's because there's not that much change in comparison to the Z87. You could look at reviews of those if you were stuck to get an idea if a board falls short or not.

Maybe one of these if I didn't want to spend too much.
    http://www.hardwareversand.de/en/DDR3/169024/ASRock+Z97+Pro3%2C+Sockel+1150%2C+ATX.article

I might even go for a mATX model, if I had my eye on a smaller case.
    http://www.hardwareversand.de/en/DDR3/165932/MSI+Z97M-G43%2C+Sockel+1150%2C+mATX.article

Maybe something like this if I wanted a different colour scheme and a few extras like optical sound.
    http://www.hardwareversand.de/en/DDR3/165952/MSI+Z97+GAMING+3%2C+Sockel+1150%2C+ATX.article

Advertisement