Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree not very full - could it be cut in any way to help it grow?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Not really much can be done there. but you could just cut off the top and turn it into a nice hedge, that way it could be trained higher and thicker over time.

316621.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭blackbox

Is tha bark damaged? If not, what would you think of cutting away all of the lower branches to give a bare stem?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,153 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Not sure. will check tomorrow.

I'm open to any suggestions tbh, not sure what to do myself as anything I usually touch in the garden dies!

What would cutting away all the lower branches do?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

make a nice stick. :D the top of the plant does not look great (for whatever reason) so I would not be inclined to remove all the good growth at the bottom half.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Souness

Personally I would just give it time. I had severely distorted beech trees where all the branches were on one side due to a leylandea hedge growing behind them. I had thought of topping them to encourage them to bush out after I had removed the hedge. But now I am very glad I let them be as within 2-3 years they had vastly improved and now they are now 60ft beautiful trees. From your pic I see that there are branches in the weak mid section and with time they will fill that gap.

• Advertisement
Advertisement