Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleeping

Options
  • 31-07-2014 11:58am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My wife is 5 months pregnant and is finding it very hard to sleep.

She has a very restless leg that can keep her awake for a good while. Had the same issue on our first baby. She didnt really approach the GP about it but will at the next appointment.

In the mean time is there anything that can help her sleep?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Cameoette

A pregnancy pillow really helped me!

Also, this might sound silly, but I try and avoid checking my phone/laptop or checking the time when I wake up in the night to use the loo (happens usually about 6 times during the night) as if I realised it was only 1am, 2am then I'd be super p*ssed off and just wouldn't be able to sleep again. Whatever works!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Cameoette wrote: »

Also, this might sound silly, but I try and avoid checking my phone/laptop or checking the time when I wake up in the night to use the loo (happens usually about 6 times during the night) as if I realised it was only 1am, 2am then I'd be super p*ssed off and just wouldn't be able to sleep again. Whatever works!

Hi there
    I have restless legs at the minute such a torment.
    Get her to elevate them higher than her knees put a big thick pillow under her calves also. I found this great

I was at reflexology last night and had a brilliant night sleep best in months despite 4 trips to toilet!

Also I was told to eat magnesium and potassium it helps.
    So eating bananas may help but I didn't get a chance to research this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Cameoette wrote: »

Plus one for this ^^^
    Using a pregnancy pillow (or even just spare pillows) between your legs really helps me.
    When I was unable to sleep at the early part of my pregnancy and now again at the latter end (31 weeks now) I'm waking up a lot to pee or my SPD is waking me up when I turn over as is my blocked nose or leg cramps...(its SUCH a magical journey) but I learned NOT to check my phone. Knowing the time is a killer - you're either annoyed that you're awake at silly o'clock or about 20 minutes before your alarm is going to go off and you get cross and frustrated and have a bad start to your day.

Also, stretching out my legs before going to bed helps with the restless leg syndrome too. I do about 5 stretches on each leg (taking it in turns) with each lasting for about 20 seconds before bed and it takes the edge off the syndrome and allows for a better sleep in general.

Advertisement