Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

strength & Conditioning

Options
  • 31-07-2014 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi,

I am looking to improve my running and want to improve my core, glutes etc... via strength and conditioning.

There are a lot of classes out there now that claim to fit the bill. Pilates, TRX, cross fit, kettlebells etc...

Does anyone here have any thoughts on which is most relevant to a runner who struggles to maintain form over longer distances.

all thoughts welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Before someone else says it... run more often and run further.
    S&C will not help you maintain form over longer distances.

However some of them will help you get stronger and may help you avoid injury.
    Stay away from the cross-fit can of worms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

dna_leri wrote: »
    S&C will not help you maintain form over longer distances.

But what if you sit at a desk for 45 hours a week? Your core isn't engaged and will likely become quite weak. I agree with part of your post, but surely a stronger core will help running more and running longer like you suggest?
    I think saying S&C will not help is a pretty broad statement. It would defintely help some more than others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Basster wrote: »
    But what if you sit at a desk for 45 hours a week? Your core isn't engaged and will likely become quite weak. I agree with part of your post, but surely a stronger core will help running more and running longer like you suggest?
    I think saying S&C will not help is a pretty broad statement. It would defintely help some more than others.

Problem with "engaging your core" is that it is not sports specific i.e isometric contractions of trunk muscles is not likely to yield much benefit and can in fact be counter intuitive.

Engaging muscles used in running through compound movements which mimic real world applications however would be very useful, lunges, deadlifts,squats etc would be exercises which could help but again you could put in more real world applications here and add hill sprints/ drills etc.

Running in itself can be good strength and conditioning (if that makes sense)

If you are looking to go down this avenue however I would say that something along the lines of SportsMed Irelands S&C classes or a S&C coach with a running background would probably be of some use as opposed to general classes put on from a group with a fitness rather than performance related focus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

rock climbing? A certain clown around here should be able to help

Advertisement