Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pricing inconsistencies

Options
  • 30-07-2014 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Just a quick question for you all so I can get some advise! Myself and my partner recently visited a very well known jeweller to get our engagement ring. Which was so exciting and such a great time for us and we left delighted after picking a ring and disclosing the budget.
    However, since then things have gotten a little confusing and upsetting. We emailed to confirm everything and they got back to us saying they had a diamond that suited us and it was above our budget but they would be able to bring the price down to match our budget. All great, but the problem was that we had already got a quote for the same spec diamond from the same jeweller which was cheaper than the price with the discount! :eek:
    When we questioned this and pointed out that the price we had gotten for a much better spec diamond in the setting also was cheaper than the price given, things weren't really explained to us.
    We are getting a change to the band so we fully understand that the price will have gone up with this. The problem is that it was made out to us that we were getting a serious discount which we weren't and also with the latest prices (after lots of twoing and froing) that were given to us the changes in the band are now costing 1000 euro for the lesser spec diamond (4500 for no changes to band to 5500 with changes) but only 175 euro for the same changes with the greater spec diamond (5225-5400), We've ased for a price breakdown but this was not forthcoming at all.

I'm just wondering where people think that we should go from here. This has really tainted the whole thing for us and really ruined what should have been one of the best times ever. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

When you buy a diamond ring you are supposed to look for the 4 c's, cut, carat, clarity and colour. My brother always said to add another c, confidence in your jeweller.

If you are not confident in the jeweller then go and look somewhere else. There are plenty of jewellers that will custom design a ring for you. So give them the specs of the ring you want and see what the price will be. At least then you will have peace of mind.

We went to Voltaire diamonds and i was happy with them and i also know topaz jewellers in limerick will design rings

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Can you tell us the spec of the diamond you're getting? That will help regarding what type of deal you're getting..

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Seb_bixby

Thanks for the replies. I met with the Jeweller today and we went through the prices and all that and where the inconsistences happened and more importantly why. We got a breakdown and all so are happier now. :)
    The prices were always very competitive and we knew this. It was the inconsistancies in the prices for the work to the band that was confusing us.
    Anywho, alls well that ends well and we are happy to still go with them as our jewellers. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Too that it ended well... Just to note, I don't know what size diamond you negotiated but for that price you would have got a very good quality, cut and colour .9 carat ex ex ex in Antwerp..

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Seb_bixby

Thanks James, I had contacted some Jewellers in Antwerp and they had some great quotes too. The ring we are getting came in at around the same as some of the quotes from antwerp and cheaper than some of the quotes when you included the band which is a halo style. I think even with the cash discount you hear of in Antwerp I reckon with flights etc would have been more expensive.
    Seems Ireland is getting competitive! lol :D (For some things at least!! lol)

• Advertisement
Advertisement