Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delidding

Options
  • 30-07-2014 8:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭

I'm seriously toying with the idea of delidding my 3570K when I rebuild my water-cooling loop. Does anyone have any experiences they'd like to share?

I might not use this method:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭game4it70

I used a hammer and vice to do my 4670k.I used a piece of timber like in the video.
    I had to give a right few wallops :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I've done it as well. Pro-tip: Hit the chip in a direction perpendicular to the vice, otherwise it moves. >.<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

I'm actually going to use the blade method. Me plus hammer = borken things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Yea I'll be delidding my 3570k when I build my loop. Will definitely be using the razor blade method. Hitting my CPU with a hammer just doesn't sit well with me! Lol!

I know the hammer seems worse but there where a few peeps the killed there chips using knife/blade method.
    It seem very easy to nick the pcb with a blade.

If your going to the risk of doing it make sure you get Coollaboratory liquid pro or ultra for the die as its much better than normal tims.

• Advertisement

I knew there was something I forgot!

Put the IHS back on or leave it off and directly cool the die?

If you are using a ek supremacy block you can get a mounting kit for direct die cooling.

If not i wouldn't try it as its tough to get the right pressure with normal mounting without a shim.

I'd also advocate the hammer method. It's counter-intuitive, but it is actually the safer way to go.

Humm, just watching some more videos, think I'm leaning towards the vice method now. Seems nuts but pretty safe!

..Brian.. wrote: »
    Humm, just watching some more videos, think I'm leaning towards the vice method now. Seems nuts but pretty safe!

I did mine over a year ago and still going strong after the abuse i gave it with the hammer :D

Here is a huge thread on it http://www.overclock.net/t/1313179/official-delidded-club-guide/0_100

• Advertisement

game4it70 wrote: »
    I know the hammer seems worse but there where a few peeps the killed there chips using knife/blade method.
    It seem very easy to nick the pcb with a blade.

If your going to the risk of doing it make sure you get Coollaboratory liquid pro or ultra for the die as its much better than normal tims.

Any idea where I can get the TIM you recommend, in Ireland. I'm hoping the rest of the bits will be here early next week.

MemoryC has it.

Serephucus wrote: »
    MemoryC has it.

Out of stock :( Thanks for the link though!

Overclockers have stock and are quick enough with deliveries.
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=TH-005-CL

Failing that i have some you can use if your stuck.

game4it70 wrote: »
    Overclockers have stock and are quick enough with deliveries.
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=TH-005-CL

Failing that i have some you can use if your stuck.

That's very generous of you thanks! I'd happily replace it. Will a regular compound not do it though like Arctic Silver 5?

You can use normal tim but tbh its not work the risk of delidding just to use that imo.
    From what i've read there is about 10c difference between regular and liquid metal.

As i said if your stuck let me know and i could post my tube to you or you could collect (depending on where you live).

Did you use liquid Pro or ultra? Pro seems more popular in the OCN delidders club. Some great results, 20c drop seems average. What sort of results did ye get?

..Brian.. wrote: »
    Did you use liquid Pro or ultra? Pro seems more popular in the OCN delidders club. Some great results, 20c drop seems average. What sort of results did ye get?

I used ultra and dropped about 13c.I meant to try and re-apply it to see if i could get better but never got round to it.

13c is still a great result. Tbh I'd be happy with anything over 10c!

Right so decided not to delid my 3570K at the moment. My water cooling project didn't turn out as well as I'd have liked so some tweaking is needed and I'll perhaps do it then. I'm also on the lookout for a second hand 3770K. Then if I bajax it at least I can fall back on the 3570K

The rig despite it not looking pretty is almost silent now :) my R9 290 is running at 1125Mhz core, 1450Mhz Memory +50mv, +30 max power. (If anyone would care to explain what the max power does I'd be obliged.) It's not even getting to 60C - although it does seem to clock down momentarily doing from about 1050 - 1125. Any ideas why this is fluctuating?

The CPU is being bloody strange. Under my H100 it wasn't going much above 85-90C at 4.5Ghz (+0.065v offset). I've tried reapplying the thermal paste but it's touching 100C in prime95. Any ideas?

Pics to follow.

• Advertisement

316961.jpg

316962.jpg

316963.jpg

PS Thanks Game4it70 for the help via PM :)

Hard to tell but is the loop order res,pump,lower rad,gpu,rad,cpu?
    If it is your ok with cpu blocks inlet.

Cant see the pump but i presume in/outlets are correct?

So if all correct it sounds like you still may need to bleed the air out.

As for your gpu.
    I think all the +30 power does it let the gpu pull more juice if needed by whatever program that is stressing it.

It's a bay res and pump (D5) it going top rad (360mm) > bottom rad (200mm) > GPU > 120mm Rad > CPU > Inlet on res.

There does seem to be quite a bit of air in to loop. How do I bleed that out? The only rad with a bleed screw is the 200mm and I had to cover that with the drive bays. Air seems to be stuck in the outlet tube on the CPU (cpu to inlet on res).

Thanks again for the help folks!

(Even the wife is impressed with how quiet it is!)

Its harder to bleed with a bay res.The best way to get the bubbles into the res is to tilt the case every which way but lose :D
    Make sure the pump is on setting 5 presuming it has the dial on it when bleeding.

When you tilt the case you should hear different sounds as the bubbles move around.You can also turn pump up and down when running to help move stubborn bubbles.With a D5 is should bleed almost fully in a few hours but the water level will still drop in the res for a week or two as the micro bubbles break down.

I normally run with one of the ports open on the res too but doubt you could with the bay res.

Thanks again Game4it!

Should I run it with the fill port open? I was worried about it sucking in air.

Yes you can once the level in the res isn't to high.
    I'd try all the tilting first and then run it for a couple of hours with the port open.

Let me know how you get on and if you hear the noise/gurgling of the air moving.
    You will see the water level in the res drop if its bleeding.

Bleeding nicely! Topping up the res now and then. Thanks again Game4it I'd have been pulling my hair our if it wasn't for you answering my n00b questions! :)

Temps seem to be improving on the CPU too!

No problem,happy to help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement