Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CompTIA Linux+ self study

Options
  • 30-07-2014 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭

Has anyone here any advice about doing this cert self study?
    What kind of workload is involved and what would be a reasonable amount of time to do it over? Is it a difficult one for someone who is comfortable using Linux but has so far only learned as little as needed to use it every day?

I'd also appreciate any pointers towards online resources (free or not), particularly practice questions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Has anyone here any advice about doing this cert self study?
    What kind of workload is involved and what would be a reasonable amount of time to do it over? Is it a difficult one for someone who is comfortable using Linux but has so far only learned as little as needed to use it every day?

I'd also appreciate any pointers towards online resources (free or not), particularly practice questions.

This course starts on Friday and it's free. You should sign up as it would be a great help in your Linux studies.

https://www.edx.org/course/linuxfoundationx/linuxfoundationx-lfs101x-introduction-1621#

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Check out Sybex's book for offline material, online videos on Udemy (by linuxacademy.com) and questions on MeasureUp are all what I used to pass this earlier this summer. I've also signed up to the link above to learn some more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Krusader wrote: »
    This course starts on Friday and it's free. You should sign up as it would be a great help in your Linux studies.

https://www.edx.org/course/linuxfoundationx/linuxfoundationx-lfs101x-introduction-1621#
    Thanks. I spotted that mentioned on the Unix forum and am waiting with bated breath for the start.
    Kinet1c wrote: »
    Check out Sybex's book for offline material, online videos on Udemy (by linuxacademy.com) and questions on MeasureUp are all what I used to pass this earlier this summer. I've also signed up to the link above to learn some more.

Thanks for the pointers. The 1st two I'll definitely give a go. I hadn't heard of measureup before, and it initially looked interesting. Then I saw this... "Access the practice test from any Windows PC via the internet."
    :confused:

Actually...there a some very interesting courses on Udemy including one for Exam LX0-101. Nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Yer it's fairly poor alright but I managed to get Silverlight running on Ubuntu, google "netflix on linux" and you should find a guide. They were really good questions that helped a lot. Get a 30 day pass a few weeks before you're doing the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Yer it's fairly poor alright but I managed to get Silverlight running on Ubuntu, google "netflix on linux" and you should find a guide. They were really good questions that helped a lot.

I have netflix running and could probably get it to work handily enough, but I just thought it amusing for Linux material to be delivered Windows only.
    I might run it in a VM. I'm sure I have an XP one lying around somewhere. For good questions it would be worth the bother.
    Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I hadn't heard of measureup before, and it initially looked interesting. Then I saw this... "Access the practice test from any Windows PC via the internet."
    :confused:
    I'm thinking they say this as the core audience of Linux+ would be those using Windows currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Is this what you used for your Linux+ cert

Advertisement