Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need a training plan!

Options
  • 30-07-2014 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could recommend me any training plan for getting more fit riding my bike. Like the ones you've got for running (like c25k) if there's anything similar for cycling that I could follow so that I can measure my progress on the bike a bit better. I mostly just ride down to the shops and back on my bike or go for a little ride on a pretty much fixed route I'm familiar with everyday but as it's not really training as I travel pretty much the same distance everyday and I don't see much of an improvement. Like I can use higher gears now than I could when I first started riding and I get need to take less breaks now but I'm still not sure if I can do a 10k, 20k or 50k run. So I was wondering if anyone of ye know any good plan I could follow such as one that would make be become able to do a 50k run in x number of weeks and such... I have a garmin watch that I can create intervals on based on time or distance and such which should be pretty handy for it.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

I assume the Garmin watch is a gps device like the forerunner?

If it is then upload your spins to http://www.strava.com . You'll get feedback on how fast you're going and see any improvements in pace while also being able to target particular segments - like virtual sprints - on your route.

If you have a smartphone, it can run strava for you instead.

There's some basic training plans here - http://www.theseankellytour.com/trainforit/ but I'd just suggest getting out often and varying your routes and trying to make sure that you keep on enjoying yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Thanks yeah it's a forerunner watch with gps. I actually did get a strava account (the free one) and upload my spins on it but to be honest I don't really know how I can analyse my training. Like I see if I can a higher top speed (it's always fun going faster) and the fastest I've gone so far is about 50kmph. I don't have much aero gear (clothing, aero helmet and such) and usually carry a lock with me so above 40kmph it feels like i'm pushing through custard! But I would like to be working on a plan so that I have goals of doing a certain amount of Kms everyday and then progress over the weeks so I can take part in a 50k run or something without killing myself! It's also very hilly around where I live (South Dublin) so I tend to get tired quickly going over climbs and such...

I like the seankellytour plans although I was looking for something a little more detailed, preferably with intervals so I could have smaller goals while training instead of just doing a 20k run. If you get what I mean...

I think you'd be better off trying to increase your distance and the number of times a week you cycle rather than worry about intervals yet. You wouldn't start worrying about interval training before you could even comfortably run 5k, would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

go out and cycle more, and enjoy it and dont worry about intervals. Pick somewhere to cycle to, then cycle to there.

If you want hard efforts/goals you can pick some short segments on strava to target. Something like the Khyber pass in the Phoenix park - http://www.strava.com/segments/701043 is short and a good challenge.

Something like Stocking lane up to the viewing point (http://www.strava.com/segments/2472552) is a much longer one but you can either work towards getting up it without stopping or work on getting up it faster if you're already able to get up it without stopping. It's a nice route to work on as it continues on to Wicklow as you get stronger and there's sometimes an ice-cream van at viewing point on sunny days.

Lots of other segments for motivation on Strava - use the segment explorer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Op
    Are you coming from a running back round.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I used to run but then I found it a bit boring so I decided to get a bike so I could go faster and further and all!

But yeah I took a slightly different route to cycle from my usual route today and there's this 6-4% incline at the end and I really struggled on that... Lowest gear, crawling my way up... :(

Advertisement