Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shrinking Cloths in washing machine @ 30°

Options
  • 30-07-2014 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭

could somebody help me, i have a problem for a long time now with some clothes i wash shrinking, i have had to get rid of quite a few tshirts over time some even brand new only worn once, that have just shrunk beyond wearable, i don't know why as i did goggle this and tips like not tumble drying and washing at 30° come up but i am doing that. i always wash on 30°. i don't own a tumble dryer neither i have to dry clothes on a clothes horse away from radiators and direct sunlight. i use ariel or bold 2 in one liquitabs. so whats making the tshirts and jeans shrink!?! what am i doing wrong!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Try reshaping stuff when wet - I often have to do this as some of my tops become short and wide after even a 30 degree wash.
    I've heard of people having the thermostat in their machine checked/replaced, maybe that could be an option (I'm not an expert but maybe the water is heating to higher than 30 degrees?)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Nodferatu wrote: »
    could somebody help me, i have a problem for a long time now with some clothes i wash shrinking, i have had to get rid of quite a few tshirts over time some even brand new only worn once, that have just shrunk beyond wearable, i don't know why as i did goggle this and tips like not tumble drying and washing at 30° come up but i am doing that. i always wash on 30°. i don't own a tumble dryer neither i have to dry clothes on a clothes horse away from radiators and direct sunlight. i use ariel or bold 2 in one liquitabs. so whats making the tshirts and jeans shrink!?! what am i doing wrong!?

Do you iron your clothes? Some clothing needs to be ironed to get back to the proper shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

hmm its a new washing machine so not sure about the thermostat but might be cause!! yeah i may just stretch clothes when wet from now on. i don't iron clothes much unless needs be, but generally no. ill give that a go too

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

That was happening to me too, and apparently it's the spin cycle than can damage them, moreso than the temperature. Check if your machine is spinning at a high RPM and reduce it if you can (there might be a setting for 'short spin' or the spin for synthetics is often shorter and gentler).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Nothing further to add except just be careful when stretching - I did that with one t shirt and once I had dried it and ironed it it was nearly like a skirt! (I just chucked it damp into the dryer and shrunk it a little!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭LUZ

Im the same! my husband is always complaining that i shrink everything, i have no idea how it happens, i do use a dryer but i put it on cool and if theyre still damp i hang the clothes around the house. its really annoying. i thought a high spin was better so that the dryer wouldnt have to work as hard but now i dont know!!!

Advertisement