Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power Hose

Options
  • 30-07-2014 3:34pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Do people use them to clean road bikes?

Very tempted to get one

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

godtabh wrote: »
    Do people use them to clean road bikes?

Very tempted to get one

People do all sorts of stupid stuff.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Note suitable for roadbikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Forces water into places you don't want it to go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,629 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i suspect you'd blow all sorts of lubricant out of places you want lubricant in.
    and try putting your hand in front of a powerhose jet. it's like being hit in the hand with a hammer. maybe not something you want to point at a bike frame.

Note suitable for roadbikes?
    Unnecessary for any bike.

In reality you need a clean drive train and clean rims/brake pads.

A rag will do most of that.

I ride in all weathers on road and mtb and wouldn't dream of using power hose.
    Probably just drive dirt into places it wouldn't otherwise get

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Not recommended, unless you lube and replace components as often as pro road mechanics do.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I just came across this

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/mobi-v-17-portable-bike-pressure-washer/rp-prod46653

and it got me thinking.

Reviews suggest that its no powerful enough to wash away grease etc.

Normally I just wash the drive train and re lube once a week but can never get it bike shop clean. Though this might help

http://thecyclingblog.com/2007/06/11/tip-of-the-week-bike-washing/

This was a pro mechanic and had his own shop

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

For my road bike I actually just use a basin of water water and fairy liquid. I take the wheels off the bike and wet a cloth, wiping them down. Then I move onto the frame, wiping the dirt away, using fresh baby wipes to remove little bits of tar. Once I have the frame cleaned I go over it with car wax to protect the paint from the sun and it also gives it a little water repellent, not to mention, makes the frame look great. I wipe the bar tape with the water and fairy and finally I treat the leather on the saddle with some car leather treatment.

Lube up the chain and cassette and I am ready to go.

I was told to use shampoo and not fairy liquid as fairy liquid can strip paint

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

This degreaser is cheap and lasts for ages.

You just brush it on your drive train, leave for a few minutes then wash off (or scrub off with a sponge or brush) and it all comes up sparkly.
    Dont forget to re-lube.

I was told to use shampoo and not fairy liquid as fairy liquid can strip paint

Fairy removes wax and other treatments from paint. It is the one reason why you should not wash your car with it either. UNLESS you are going to wax it after you are done.

As I have mentioned, I wax the bike frame after every wash so it is ok. Fairy wont damage the paint but it does remove any protective wax etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Also, fairy liquid contains salt which can be damaging to metal components if you don't ensure that you wash it off thoroughly. Hot water alone should be enough for everything except the drivetrain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

jizer. LOL.

(It's great stuff tho)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I just came across this

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/mobi-v-17-portable-bike-pressure-washer/rp-prod46653

and it got me thinking.

Reviews suggest that its no powerful enough to wash away grease etc.

Or you could buy a 2 litre garden pump sprayer from Lidl/Aldi and use that with appropriate detergent. It'll do plenty...

lennymc wrote: »
    jizer. LOL.

(It's great stuff tho)

Do you spray it all over the bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

logik wrote: »
    For my road bike I actually just use a basin of water water and fairy liquid. I take the wheels off the bike and wet a cloth, wiping them down. Then I move onto the frame, wiping the dirt away, using fresh baby wipes to remove little bits of tar. Once I have the frame cleaned I go over it with car wax to protect the paint from the sun and it also gives it a little water repellent, not to mention, makes the frame look great. I wipe the bar tape with the water and fairy and finally I treat the leather on the saddle with some car leather treatment.

Lube up the chain and cassette and I am ready to go.

Afterwards, do you and your bike sit in front of the fridge in ye're underwear eating strawberries? :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I power wash my bike regularly over the winter, usually the frame and wheels. Then clean and lube the drive train by hand.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

outfox wrote: »
    Afterwards, do you and your bike sit in front of the fridge in ye're underwear eating strawberries? :pac:

Lol, I deserve that :D Bit OCD now that I have read that back to myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,972 ✭✭✭G1032

outfox wrote: »

Lol. Can't stop laughing at that post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Sorry Logik. It's the Cork sense of humour.
    My bike cleaning routine is even worse - I use baby wipes. An Orwellian cyclist recommended them. They work surprisingly well.

Advertisement