Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reminder on Using Tubs

Options
  • 30-07-2014 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Following on from another accident at Mondello last night involving a Tub rolling, there is some serious concern about the standard of the application of tubs within the Irish Peloton. This is the third such incident in Leinster alone within the last 4 weeks. Fortunately the Mondello incidents were isolated in comparison to a bunch sprint at another race with the cause shown in the photo attached. A reminder that Rim cement is the best way for attaching tubs but if tub tape is to be used. Follow the link for a reminder as to how it should be done properly. Your racing buddies in the peloton will thank you for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeEZdq9py-c

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I would add that there are different types of rim cement depending on whether you are on an aluminium or carbon rim.

http://www.conti-online.com/www/bicycle_de_en/service_en/downloads/schlauchreifenkleber_en.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

I would add another thing.

There was a crash in a stage race earlier this year that resulted in my being brought down, cracking my front wheel (Planet X 5omm Carbon Tub). The Tub remained inflated, but because the wheel was broken, it rolled off the rim about five minutes after the crash, while I was walking back to my car. Had the rub rolled earlier, the crash could potentially have been bigger.

Unfortunately, a walk back to a car post crash with a tub that is no longer attached to the wheel led to a lot of accusations that I caused said crash.

In short, even if you do crash, well glued tubs can prevent a small crash affecting large numbers of others, but sometimes (sometimes!), the guy holding the tub is not at fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Also, if you buy secondhand wheels that have tubs on them, make sure to check them. I was lucky not to roll a tub in last year's Keirin nationals for this reason. Tub seemed lose and peeled off right after.

Advertisement