Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

could someone check this build plz?

Options
  • 30-07-2014 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭

Hey, just wondering could somebody have a quick look at this before i order.

Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 WindForce 3X, 4GB GDDR5, 2x DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort ----351.51
    MSI Z97 GAMING 3, Sockel 1150, ATX ----108.93
    Samsung SSD 840 EVO Basic 120GB SATA 6Gb/s---61.29
    WD Blue 1TB 6Gb's----47.02
    8GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz CL9----74.76
    Intel Core i5-4690K Box, LGA1150----199.95
    NOCTUA NH-D15----84.89
    FRACTAL DESIGN Define R4 Black Pearl----83.54

I still have a power supply for a 4 year old build: Cooler Master M620, modular, 620W

Gonna be using it for the oculus rift DK2 as well as general gaming.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Looks good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭TheOwl12

Out of curiosity, where are you getting that i5?

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭smithy1981

TheOwl12 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, where are you getting that i5?

hardwareversand, I ran it through skinflint.co.uk first to get the discount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Looks good.

Agreed. Can't fault it. Good balanced build.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭crazydom

R9 290 in my opinion will run too hot, swop for GTX 780/780ti!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭smithy1981

crazydom wrote: »
    R9 290 in my opinion will run too hot, swop for GTX 780/780ti!

I actually ended up getting the 290x :eek:, are they really that hot even with the 3 fans??

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭miece16

smithy1981 wrote: »
    I actually ended up getting the 290x :eek:, are they really that hot even with the 3 fans??

yes. one of the guys i know has the 290 and after 15 minutes of starting his pc he says his room feels like a sauna

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

miece16 wrote: »
    yes. one of the guys i know has the 290 and after 15 minutes of starting his pc he says his room feels like a sauna

You arent comparing like for like. Theres running hot and theres a high heat output. Not the same thing.

Reference 290X *RUNS* hot at like 90*C. The aftermarket ones drop to 70ish.

Heating the room is about actual power usage, 780ti is a 250W card, 290x is a 290W card. Thus it will heat it the case and room its in a little more, but the same as any other high end card. Your friend needs better ventilation in his room if he wants to run a real rig, nothing to do with the 290X.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2013/10/28/is-the-amd-radeon-r9-290x-too-hot/1

It has a high heat threshold but I would not want a component so hot running in my system. But you could get an all in one liquid cooling unit for it to vastly improve temperatures and have much lower fan noise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Again, that's the reference card, OP got an aftermarket one where they specifically address the heat/noise issues. He won't have any problems with it.

• Advertisement

Again, that's the reference card, OP got an aftermarket one where they specifically address the heat/noise issues. He won't have any problems with it.

Yes I have to agree to a point, it will address the heat and noise issue, but , it is a hot and noisy card moreso than other non-reference cards. But tbh I wish him the best with the card and his opinion on the heat and the noise is the most important not anyone else's at the end of the day I guess! And also the card is a beast!! Happy gaming dude!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I have a pair of R9 290's in the same case (Sapphire Tri-X OC) and neither has ever been above 75 degrees and the pair of them don't make any more noise than the rest of my system which consists entirely of SP120 quiet edition fans, plus a 1200W bequiet PSU.

The wholes thing is sitting less than a foot from me next to my desk almost at ear level with a laptop sitting on top of it and it's quiet enough that I can still hear the laptop hard drive from time to time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

vibe666 wrote: »
    I have a pair of R9 290's in the same case (Sapphire Tri-X OC) and neither has ever been above 75 degrees and the pair of them don't make any more noise than the rest of my system which consists entirely of SP120 quiet edition fans, plus a 1200W bequiet PSU.

The wholes thing is sitting less than a foot from me next to my desk almost at ear level with a laptop sitting on top of it and it's quiet enough that I can still hear the laptop hard drive from time to time.

I don't doubt you but I have to say I think you're the exception. I can hear the coil whine on my R9 290 above my SP120s if nothing else now that I've taken that bloody awful reference cooler off it!

Tri-X cooler really that good? What core do they run at btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Bepolite wrote: »
    I don't doubt you but I have to say I think you're the exception. I can hear the coil whine on my R9 290 above my SP120s if nothing else now that I've taken that bloody awful reference cooler off it!

Tri-X cooler really that good? What core do they run at btw?

core on them is 1000 i think?

I did some sound tests and getting idle of 50-52dB @ around 30 and 35 degrees for the two cards respectively and 63-65dB under load with no more than 75 degrees, so for the performance of the cards, it's hard to argue with that, and that's with the additional noise of 6x SP120's, a SP140 and the PSU fan with the motherboard fan profile set to performance mode, so I could probably have it quieter.

Advertisement