Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a minimum salary you need for a mortgage?

Options
  • 30-07-2014 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am wondering is there a minimum salary you need to be on to be eligible for a mortgage? Not a huge 100k max maybe only 80 or 90. Saving a couple 100 last few months on top of my monthly rent. Just wondering is there a min gross salary or is that something they would look at?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

A rule of thumb is about 3 times your salary is the affordable mortgage. Of course with the way things have been recently, banks stress test your application based on certain variables, especially things like changes in interest rates or if you suddenly have a child. For 90k mortgage, you'd then have to earn 30k.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

Sorry to piggyback on this but is there a guideline for the % of the house value that the deposit should make up. (10% is in my head for some reason)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

ec18 wrote: »
    Sorry to piggyback on this but is there a guideline for the % of the house value that the deposit should make up. (10% is in my head for some reason)

generally 10%, but AIB do 8%

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Keep in mind, a larger deposit can get you a better deal on the interest rate with some banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

dar100 wrote: »
    generally 10%, but AIB do 8%
    Keep in mind, a larger deposit can get you a better deal on the interest rate with some banks.

Thanks.....so really 10% is a minimum figure that a borrower should be aiming for

• Advertisement

ec18 wrote: »
    Thanks.....so really 10% is a minimum figure that a borrower should be aiming for

Yes, I'd aim for higher if possible, but that's just me and it depends on the individual circumstances.

Advertisement