Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WP8.1 GDR 1 next week

Options
  • 30-07-2014 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭

Some great stuff coming in this update:
    http://m.wpcentral.com/official-update-1-windows-phone-81-next-week-preview

I'm really excited about the live folder idea, much better implementation to retain the live tile advantages.

Not really connected with this update but Cortana is getting it's official UK and China releases (which presumably means using it in Ireland will be easier and better too) next week also.

The frequency of updates really seems to be accelerating, especially if you watch the Cortana updates that have been coming almost twice a week! Now I just need some new hardware :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

you're somewhat out of step with the forum here. The current narrative is that WP is dying and MS only bought Nokia so they could destroy it.
    It's obviously only an illusion that updates are coming more quickly and that the updates themselves are getting more and more great new features. Also, new major apps being released for WP, such as Fitbit and Uber, are only an aberration.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

MJohnston wrote: »
    Some great stuff coming in this update:
    http://m.wpcentral.com/official-update-1-windows-phone-81-next-week-preview

I'm really excited about the live folder idea, much better implementation to retain the live tile advantages.

Not really connected with this update but Cortana is getting it's official UK and China releases (which presumably means using it in Ireland will be easier and better too) next week also.

The frequency of updates really seems to be accelerating, especially if you watch the Cortana updates that have been coming almost twice a week! Now I just need some new hardware :)
    Interesting Blog from Microsoft with More Detail (http://blogs.windows.com/windows_phone/b/windowsphone/archive/2014/07/30/windows-phone-8-1-update-brings-cortana-to-new-markets-new-features.aspx)

I'm not sure how I feel about Cortana with a british accent - I can understand it from a business perspective, localised for the non-gaming audience. But, for me, it stops being 'Cortana' if it stops sounding like Jen Taylor.

It will be nice to have the weather presented in 'C instead of Fahrenheit, though.

Pity we will still likely have to do region shenanigans to get it to work here, unless they class Ireland as part of the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

PaulieC wrote: »
    you're somewhat out of step with the forum here. The current narrative is that WP is dying and MS only bought Nokia so they could destroy it.
    It's obviously only an illusion that updates are coming more quickly and that the updates themselves are getting more and more great new features. Also, new major apps being released for WP, such as Fitbit and Uber, are only an aberration.

Haha ;-)

Also, it's Update, not GDR1.

MS still don't know how to use version numbers properly...

http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/30/5951111/microsofts-confusing-windows-phone-numbering-scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

theothernt wrote: »
    Haha ;-)

Also, it's Update, not GDR1.

MS still don't know how to use version numbers properly...

http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/30/5951111/microsofts-confusing-windows-phone-numbering-scheme

Imma just keep calling it GDR 1 I think, because that "update" term is really confusing - they used it with desktop Windows 8.1 and I just ended up falling that 8.1.1 to distinguish from all the other dozens of updates that Windows gets on a weekly basis!

Imma just keep calling it GDR 1 I think, because that "update" term is really confusing - they used it with desktop Windows 8.1 and I just ended up falling that 8.1.1 to distinguish from all the other dozens of updates that Windows gets on a weekly basis!

It's embarrassing how bad MS are at naming, branding and version numbers :(

I'm already seeing some call it Update vs Update 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I think in this case, they're trying to simplify their naming/branding and going too far to the simplistic side of things. Version numbers are okay, but Android probably does it best with the silly names.

I think in this case, they're trying to simplify their naming/branding and going too far to the simplistic side of things. Version numbers are okay, but Android probably does it best with the silly names.

Exactly. It would be nice to ask someone what version of the software they're running and the can respond with "8.1.1" or similar. Works perfectly fine with iOS!

Advertisement