Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housemate broke into my room

Options
  • 30-07-2014 7:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I have been renting in a shared house for the last 11 months and recently left due to noise. I paid my last months rent in full to the landlord with the intention of subletting my room for a month or even a week just to get some money back.
    Another housemate who has signed the lease returned a few weeks ago and has been living in the common areas rent free since his room is subletted to someone else. Once I cleared my room out and locked it he went and bought a basta key and moved into my room. I made it clear that I wanted to rent the room and he promised to pay me back my rent so that he could live there.

It has been a week and i have still seen no rent off him. He has agreed in an email to pay rent and I have permission from the landlord to sublet.
    What can I do? Is this an issue for small claims court, the landlord or the garda?
    He has broken into a room i have paid for and is refusing to vacate so I cannot simply get a different tenant in and I dont know what to do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

move on.. your on a loser
    The guy who you entrusted to pay you the rent is the person you should focus your attention on. I fear you maybe just wasting your time and in the end up frustrated and more annoyed than if you just put this down to a bad move on your part. The landlord really should be taken out of the equation.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

You should contact the landlord to let them know that you left, someone moved into your room without your permission, is refusing to pay rent and is refusing to vacate. Tell him that you want your deposit back as you no longer have control of the room.
    Forget about recouping the rent from subletting, it's ridiculous to think someone would move in for just a month or a week anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Have you confronted him face to face? Emailing him is allowing him to keep you at arms length.

Go into the house and ask him "Do you have the rent now?"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

You should contact the landlord to let them know that you left, someone moved into your room without your permission, is refusing to pay rent and is refusing to vacate. Tell him that you want your deposit back as you no longer have control of the room.
    Forget about recouping the rent from subletting, it's ridiculous to think someone would move in for just a month or a week anyway.

That is not correct. There are plenty people looking for short term lets, maybe on a holiday break or on a job in a particular city/town for a short time.
    No point in e mailing this gent. Just go and either get the rent from him or take possession of the room that you are legally the tenant of. He is taking advantage of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

The bold is so incorrect.

Loads of people can use this accommodation for short term or emergency lettings when in between accommodations or having work done our their own home, there is definetly a market for short term lettings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

The bold is so incorrect.

Loads of people can use this accommodation for short term or emergency lettings when in between accommodations or having work done our their own home, there is definetly a market for short term lettings.

Yeah. Is there much of a market for rooms in a shared house though (with random people living in the common areas?). Because I think most people would be a bit wary of that. Most women anyway.

Anyway OP, I think the landlord/confronting your man directly is your only hope.

Advertisement