Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Industry abroad?

Options
  • 29-07-2014 9:47pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Im going into leaving cert this year, and im just looking for some advice as to my options. For my age i've worked on quite a few sets,and a few big productions. I do my own work and i know this is what I want to do in the future. - film that is.

Now, what i'm wondering is. Would it be worth my while doing college first, or sticking at what im doing now , and just try get my foot in the door to a few production companies? And keep attempting to get paid work? The whole financial burden of college may not be worth my while, as when I get out i'll be in the same position as I'm in now. ? - no? I'm thinking about the US or anywhere where the industry is booming at the moment, possibly even college abroad. I just dont know where to start...

Does anyone have any advice as to what paths to go down, im a bit confused. :scratch: Its not really a questions a career guidance teacher can help me with either.

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

peterk675 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Im going into leaving cert this year, and im just looking for some advice as to my options. For my age i've worked on quite a few sets,and a few big productions. I do my own work and i know this is what I want to do in the future. - film that is.

Now, what i'm wondering is. Would it be worth my while doing college first, or sticking at what im doing now , and just try get my foot in the door to a few production companies? And keep attempting to get paid work? The whole financial burden of college may not be worth my while, as when I get out i'll be in the same position as I'm in now. ? - no? I'm thinking about the US or anywhere where the industry is booming at the moment, possibly even college abroad. I just dont know where to start...

Does anyone have any advice as to what paths to go down, im a bit confused. :scratch: Its not really a questions a career guidance teacher can help me with either.

Thanks guys!

Film is a pretty big area. What area in particular are you interested in?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 166 ✭✭peterk675

Thats a good point. I'm really interested in direction and camera operation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

A bit like the business world or lots of areas, there'll some high profile success stories that went in at ground floor and worked their way up.

But, you've probably a better chance of getting a break if you've formally studied the subject.

Advertisement