Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google displaying wrong page title

Options
  • 29-07-2014 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Hi,
    I recently redeveloped a website for a client, starting from scratch using a new host and a fresh design. The only thing that remained the same is the domain name.
    Now when searching the main keywords on google, it finds the url just fine in #1 position but the page title and meta description displayed are ones they used in 2005.
    I have used webmaster tools to index the individual urls weeks ago and submitted a sitemap.
    Does anyone know why google is displaying such old meta data and where are they getting it from as there have been 9 itterations of this site since 2005.
    :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭akagaby

Google believes that the title they display is more descriptive and relevant for that search query, than the one you selected.
    Perform other search queries and you will notice that the title changes :)
    Same goes for the description.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭sketchpad

I get that but the title it's pulling contains words that no longer exists anywhere in the site. The title says 'xxxxxx Event 2005' and the description reads 'information about xxxxxx event 2005'
    Other search queries return correct meta description but all have this wrong page title. Where is Google finding this 2005 title meta?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭blue4ever

has it indexed the page? try doing site:mysite.com in the google search and then locate that page in the listings, see what it's cached date is

C

give us an url

I resubmitted the siteplan on webmaster tools last night and now the correct title is appearing.
    Its amazing that google still has meta data from a version of the site that was deleted in 2006.
    its corkpride.com

• Advertisement

not sure if you know.............
    but have a look at your title:
    <title>Home</title>

that's not good :)

What title do you expect to see in search engines?!
    So Google is actually doing you a favor by NOT displaying the correct title :)

That's the problem for sure. Thought i added title tags, obviously not!

Advertisement