Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead Island [Revisited]

Options
  • 29-07-2014 8:11pm
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

No no, not a new game.

Snapped up Dead Island 1,2 (Riptide) and Epidemic for 7.5 euro two days ago. I know it was met with mixed views and people are on the fence with the Dead Island games but I did enjoy it in 2011 and figured hey, I'd revisit it now that I have the whole collection.

Just played through DI1 and the Ryder White DLC - Time to move on to Riptide and see if it adds anything to the old formula.

I've some beta keys for Epidemic here, though I haven't even tried it yet so I've no idea if the beta is still on the go or what that situation is. Once I play through Riptide I'll check for myself (and probably throw the keys out there for people while I'm at it) but maybe in the meantime people could get me up to speed regarding the ZOBA seeing as I'm in no rush? Is it still on the go?

Be right back - Kicking some zombie-face in.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Dead Island one I was all on board with, loved it in spite of some pretty big flaws.

Riptide is an abomination. Maybe it's been patched right by now but even that couldn't save it.

I had everything from zombies rushing me and pushing me so that I got glitched into walls and was stuck to zombies with dead eye aim armed with throwing knives that suddenly one shot kill you from an unseen possition :mad:

It would have been acceptable for a few kinks maybe but the main problem was it had every single issue the original had, nothing was fixed, annoyed me enough that I will have to think long and hard about getting the new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I loved Dead Island but Riptide was a massive disappointment. Basically a DLC for the original game with almost nothing improved or added. Played a few hours and didn't bother with the rest.

Looking forward to Dead Island 2, it is by a different developer though - the guys that made Spec Ops: The Line I think. Should be interesting.

The original developer Techland's new zombie game basically looks like a next gen Dead Island also.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,127 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

There's two sequels coming, the direct Dead Island 2, and the spin off Dying Light.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,336 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I bought Riptide as I liked the first but I hit a deadend with the first as I needed to throw all my main weapons to kill one of the big bads and when I went to pick them up they were all gone :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I loved the first one, bugs and tech issues aside. It wasn't the best game ever made for me, but i really enjoyed going through it. And even though Riptide didn't add anything new, i still really enjoyed it. If you liked the first one, and don't mind much of the same, then Riptide is just as good. And i played it through Steam and didn't encounter any game breaking bugs, so they must have sorted whatever issues people were having.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

One thing that bugged me in Dead Island 1 was how easy it was to break weapons. I had a purple weapon that wound up breaking because I missed any dialogue that indicated it was nearly fecked as I was fighting a horde. Still, it was a decent game, it just had no hope of living up to the video they came out with first. Played a bit of it co-op with two friends that was fun enough too, though not a patch on my favourite zombie co-op game, Left 4 Dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I enjoyed dead island one up to the point where I had to be a rat and constantly run around sewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I did finished it, but more out of stubbornness. The first part was the most fun and it went down hill for me when you got in to town.
    It's definitely not the worst game, but I dontvreally think that I will ever come back to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I agree, despite the medicore reviews I thought Dead Island was fantastic, and to be perfectly honest, even as an early player, I didn't find it remotely as buggy as reviews made it out to be. Those city sections in particular were perfect - captured the feel of on-edge terror in an urban environment really well. Riptide was just too cheap though - same game all over again effectively. Not a bad game if you hadn't played the original or, admittedly, were satisfied with 'more of the same' - just having put almost 100 hours into Dead Island, I was definitely not prepared to put the same into the exact same environment. Even if they'd created a semi new environment it would have been grand. But it was literally Dead Island v1.5.

I do think Dead Island in itself though was something approaching a masterpiece. Hasn't been done before, and it was done surprisingly well. I know people were bitching that it didn't deliver on the infamous trailer, but it was three thumbs up from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Once I go to the church/town I gave up on it. Maybe because I was playing through it on my own but I grew increasingly tired of it. Part of me wants to go back to it but the other part of me knows I wont be able to slog it out. Took me 11hrs of gameplay to get to the church as well. Reading that that was about a quarter of the way through the game I knew I wouldn't be able to last the length of the game.

• Advertisement
Advertisement