Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First bike, first off, first write-off, need a new bike!

Options
  • 29-07-2014 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Hey,

So I had my first off a couple weeks ago, came out with just a concussion so all good. My bike was less fortunate, cat D write-off. A 2006 Bandit 650, was in great condition and just serviced with new chain/sprockets!

Getting 3 grand, the other driver's insurance covering it, and I'm willing to put another 1 in myself to get something new. I've decided I want to try a sport bike, like the look of them and interested in the different riding position. I'm also interested in seeing the difference once out on a motorway with some fairings/screen to deflect the wind. However I'm still on a provisional so that'll limit my options.

Called my insurance company and of course a GSXR is out of the question, love the look of them, an SV650s however resulted in no change to my premium.

So would ye have any suggestions of other 600 sport bikes similar to the SV? Something that'd be a nice upgrade from the Bandit but possible to insure on a provisional.

Cheers,
    DM
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 PlayerA

Yo,

Happy to hear that it went ok for you, sorry for the bike though :(

When I was looking for a sport bike and fighting with the insurance, i finally went for a cbr fs. Today I am madly in love with it.

Not too radical position, kinda straight sit so less effort on the wrist, very fast at high rev, go on the angle very easily (no chicken strip left on the rubber and shoes sliders kissed the grounds recently :).

It's a 13 years old bike so you would actually need less money than you were expecting to pay..

Just an idea if you had not thought of it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

think an sv650 would be a downgrade from a bandit, personally

as above, a cbr 600f is a great shout

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

I do like the look of the 600f, only a couple available on DoneDeal but yeah a lot cheaper, would have assumed that any CBR be out of the question with insurance, I was avoiding 'R's ha

Interesting point about the SV being a downgrade from the Bandit, would you say that because of the change from 4 cylinders to 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭goodlad

M450 wrote: »
    I do like the look of the 600f, only a couple available on DoneDeal but yeah a lot cheaper, would have assumed that any CBR be out of the question with insurance, I was avoiding 'R's ha

Interesting point about the SV being a downgrade from the Bandit, would you say that because of the change from 4 cylinders to 2?

I started on a Bandit 600.

I then test ride a sv650 and imo it was by no means a downgrade.
    Although i dont really see how the two bikes can be compared to each other.

The torque on the sv650 was brilliant and it handled brilliantly. Real easy to throw it into corners.

I did eventually just get an Sv1000 and absolutely loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

just wouldnt be a big fan of them personally

typically the 650 twins are comparable to 600 inline 4's. So you coming from a 650 il4, I would have thought downgrade, at best a side-move.

though you might find all options like that, if you're still on restriction (?)

other options might be z750, fz6, gsr, hornets etc. All have inline 4 engines, but typically higher tuned then the bandit lump

• Advertisement

The only restriction I have is the insurance company, A learner permit direct access.

Yeah I'm not worried about a side-move as I'm changing to try out a new style of bike rather than to just get a faster one. So what I'm looking for is a sportier look with fairings/screen and the forward riding position that comes with.

I definitely didn't grow out of the bandit, it had plenty of power for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Get the GSXR if that's what you want. They'll cover it.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Get the GSXR if that's what you want. They'll cover it.

Well I called them yesterday and they said I need a full license to get a quote on a GSXR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Well I called them yesterday and they said I need a full license to get a quote on a GSXR.
    Tell them you already have it and they'll change their minds. They won't turn down money.

yep good point above, i wanted a 600 sport bike all the insurances refused to quote me. I started threatening them to go to the ombudsman and asking every time to write me a notice of refusal. Didn't help much.

Then I bought the bike, rang CN, told them that i owned the bike I had to explain the new direct access thing as they were not very aware of it they didnt want to insure me because i was in ireland for more than 3 years, I told them i would pay 12 month upfront, we got a deal.

Try to act as if the bike was yours, prepare the reg number etc.

• Advertisement

That's interesting stuff! I assume the deal you came to was a pretty staggering amount?

I was on the bandit for just over a year and was very happy to get the renewal for 480 TPFT, especially when the other companies still wouldn't insure me!

yeah... i got screwed on first year I paid about a thousand hundred euro i think. second year with full licence = half price.

Well I sat on an sv650s today, full fairings, beautiful looking, I really don't like the look of them without the lower fairings.

It feels familiar, but is still very different from the bandit. Maybe it's the perfect change for me to move to a sport bike.

Well I sat on an sv650s today, full fairings, beautiful looking, I really don't like the look of them without the lower fairings.

It feels familiar, but is still very different from the bandit. Maybe it's the perfect change for me to move to a sport bike.

It would be my choice anyway man.
    And i agree about the lower fairings. Imo they are awful looking without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I'd be the other way, I like to see an engine not just a mass of plastic.
    The engines in the SV650 are very good, a brilliant design from Suzuki.
    Horses for courses but I think IL4 are boring, yes they produce great power and are smooth but I like a bit of character in my bikes, smooth can stay in the cage.
    Twins are nice engine in a bike.

Yeah I love the naked look too which is why I got one to begin with, especially with the round chrome headlight of the bandit, steered well clear of the bandit S. Just don't get that top heavy look of the half fairing!

But it's time to try something new and I think the fairings and screen will make a big difference at high speeds.

So am I right in saying that the twin should have more poke in lower revs at lower gears, but may be somewhat lacking compared to the il4 overtaking in top gear? Reduced top speed too?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭fatbast

i have this sv1000s for sale with full fairing and higher bars than standard fitted, and every extra you can imagine on it. very near your budget too! pics

Its my old bike so if you need any questions answered about it fire away.

Cheers fatbast but I'd like to stay in the 600 bracket for now, get the test done soon and maybe some day feel the itch for a 1L.

I honestly couldn't imagine feeling that way right now, like unless I was travelling in Germany or a regular down in Mondello I couldn't see me tiring of the 650.

I assume the insurance company wouldn't play nicely if I made that call ha

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭HamSambo

Theres a fair aul' wollop off a Hornet 6 too

• Advertisement
Advertisement