Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seniors smartphone

Options
  • 29-07-2014 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭

Looking for a recommendation

Mother and father are both in early 70s but are relatively tech savvy (they can do a few things on the iPad, they have been doing email and browsing on a PC for a few years now they can do stuff on the Sky box without issue etc – however they struggle with something’s like basic notifications on the phone or iPad as it freaks them out as they think they will break stuff)

Mother has a Sony Xperia E (which is the biggest heap of junk ever!) and she has a launcher app on it called Necta for Seniors (big buttons and the likes) but the phone keeps crashing and is a head wrecker.
    Father has a Doro 612 and all he uses it for is calls and the very odd text

However they have a small business and would like to get things like email and be able to use the odd app (father loves looking at the ships passing by the window and he tracks them on the iPad with the Ship Finder app) they also want to be able to take photos and show their photos to friends etc on the go.

So I am looking for a recommendation on the OS really and if Windows Phone is anyway decent

I know a fair bit about Android and if they were to both go with that I will get them a Moto G each and put on one of these senior launchers (like Necta etc) but I would need to ensure it’s as smooth as possible as they will not want the phone crashing every 2 mins. This alone is putting me off Android as I know it’s a geeks fantasy but for the normal joe soap it can be a bit messy
    If they go Apple then it will obviously be more expensive (we may need to go with an older iPhone 4) and I am not sure either the screen will be big enough (I hate using iPhone after using a Nexus 4 as the screen is tiny and hard to read I feel) I am also unsure that there are any of these senior type big buttons that can be installed on the iPhone to make it a little easier to use. Mother also finds it hard to navigate iOS as there is no back button or sometimes no obvious way to get from app to app like Windows or Android.

I have no experience in Windows phones so wondered if anyone could give me some pointers to say if this is a viable option

We need the following

features that are important - camera, gps, easy to use, larger buttons, decent storage, sturdy
    Form factor - touchscreen,
    Internet – yes
    Operator – Meteor or Emobile
    Pre-pay/Bill-pay/SIM-Free – no preference
    Price range under 200

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Kevin Moran

I'd say the Lumia 625 is your best bet.
    As regards "features that are important - camera, gps, easy to use, larger buttons, decent storage, sturdy" The camera is excellent and punches above its weight imo. Nokia/HERE Maps are probably the best out there and easy to navigate. Windows Phone is straightforward to use, two screens; homepage that can be customised to display all regularly used apps such as messaging, call, e-mail on easy to read tiles, that can be enlarged and a second list page that simply lists all applications on the phone. The side lock/volume and camera buttons are easy to distinguish and the menu button on the screens light up on a plain black background. Again easy to make out. If extra storage is needed, you can install a micro SD card.
    I truly believe that WP is the best operating system for slightly older customers who want smartphone features without an overly complicated/steep learning curve. Price with Meteor/Emobile is around €120 last I checked.

P.s. Shipfinder is on the WP app store in case you (your Dad) were wondering ;)
    p.p.s If either of your parents are hard of sight, all txt and font can be enlarged and there is a nice feature called 'high contrast' which turns everything to a high contrasting black and white, makes things a bit easier again

Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

As already mentioned, the Lumia 625 is a great option.

If you wanted an even bigger phone, there's the 6" Lumia 1320...

http://www.clove.co.uk/nokia-lumia-1320

As for apps, you can ask here or search below...

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-ie/store/featured-apps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

OP I can only second Kevin's recommendation for a Lumia 625. I think Meteor might still have them on offer for €99. I have mine a couple of weeks now, and one of the things I love about it is the enlarged text as standard, and the other accessibility features that Kevin mentions above. Cortana is handy too, and there are apps also available for speech to text and read aloud capabilities (I'm dyslexic and blind in one eye and sometimes tbh I just can't be arsed typing! :pac:), but the speech recognition engine is remarkably accurate for a budget smartphone.

Also, you're worried about the phone crashing? In the few weeks I've had it, it's frozen on me twice, and that's not bad going if you're coming from android (you don't know how much it pleases me not to see a force close screen at least once a week), and I don't have too much experience with iOS unfortunately so I really can't comment other than to say that it would be advantageous alright to have all the one ecosystem - if they're used to the ipad, the iPhones a breeze, but, they're bloody expensive!

All in all I'd say the Lumia 625 will see them sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Thanks for the replies.
    As I suspected Windows phone is probably the answer.
    Android is great and I love it but it's not suitable for the non tech people and is a little bit unstable to be honest.
    IPhone is ok but as I said hardware is expensive even if we were to choose 2 year old tech. Also they find iOS a little different and difficult to what they are used to on a PC. They find navigation a little confusing.
    Is there even any options for increased text size or have bigger buttons and icons.

Windows phone looks good in that the tiles are easily sizable and it looks like a straight forward operating system. I like the idea of the options of increased accessibility options mentioned above too.

My only concern is that it is stable and not shutting down repeatedly like apps in Android can do.

Looks like I will investigate the prices and get them to maybe try one of the phones in a shop

Thanks

Thanks for the replies.
    Is there even any options for increased text size or have bigger buttons and icons.

Windows phone looks good in that the tiles are easily sizable and it looks like a straight forward operating system. I like the idea of the options of increased accessibility options mentioned above too.

There's an ability to adjust text size but that's only for a few system apps, and is not supported by 3rd party apps. If you buy a phone with a physically bigger screen, the apps are simply scaled up and look bigger.
    My only concern is that it is stable and not shutting down repeatedly like apps in Android can do.

Looks like I will investigate the prices and get them to maybe try one of the phones in a shop

Windows Phone is very stable, in the same way iOS is. I can't really speak for the stability of all 3rd party apps but most are fine. The crashing mentioned above is from a Dev Preview of the next version of the OS, but the current version for the Lumia 625 (Windows Phone 8.0 GDR3) is very stable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

theothernt wrote: »
    Windows Phone is very stable, in the same way iOS is. I can't really speak for the stability of all 3rd party apps but most are fine. The crashing mentioned above is from a Dev Preview of the next version of the OS, but the current version for the Lumia 625 (Windows Phone 8.0 GDR3) is very stable.

Actually 8.1 is rolling out now to the 625

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

My mam (67)wanted her first smart phone at Christmas ,so she got some Samsung mini android ,I have a note 2 myself so well used to android.
    She could not get the hang of it at all. She has a iPad and can use it ok but did not have the cash for the iPhone.
    Got sick to death of her ringing me every few hours trying to use the phone,so two weeks ago I got her the Nokia lumia 625 and within a day she had the hang of it and loves it. I got it for 99 euro with metor.
    Best 100 quid I have spent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

theothernt wrote: »
    There's an ability to adjust text size but that's only for a few system apps, and is not supported by 3rd party apps. If you buy a phone with a physically bigger screen, the apps are simply scaled up and look bigger.

Yeah, sorry OP I should've mentioned this but it was one of the reasons why I actually went for the 625 over the 920. I loved the hardware spec of the 920, and it has a higher res screen than the 625, but, because the screen is smaller, it's more difficult to read, for me at least.

(It did take a bit of getting used to when I was going from squinting at my Nokia N8 to being able to read the 625 without the aid of a magnifying glass... :o)

Yep, I'm on the Dev Preview, theothernt knows their stuff :D

Mods
    Can this be moved back to the Mobile forum as I would like input from all rather than just the Windows users

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Beagslife

Thanks for the replies.

Thanks

One word of warning. Be wary in the phone shops, as a lot of staff seem to automatically talk down Windows Phone. I had that experience last year with my Mother in Law. As I didn't want to get blamed if a WP didn't suit her, she went with the stores recommendation of a Samsung. She hates it & will change to WP next time.

I've also heard similar experiences recounted on Boards. But perhaps attitudes are changing for the better.

Anyway, I use a Lumia 820 & love it. You might even be converted if your parents take to WP!

MC

• Advertisement

Any recommendations for iPhone and any apps that makes bigger text and icons.
    After talking to the parents they may still be open to looking at iPhone even though they will go for an older version of hardware as 5s is a crazy price

Beagslife wrote: »
    One word of warning. Be wary in the phone shops, as a lot of staff seem to automatically talk down Windows Phone. I had that experience last year with my Mother in Law. As I didn't want to get blamed if a WP didn't suit her, she went with the stores recommendation of a Samsung. She hates it & will change to WP next time.

When shopping for a phone, it's important to remember that you're dealing with sales people. And they get commission from Samsung and others for selling those phones. So they might not be anti-Windows Phone, but they'll happily push you towards certain other phones.

Any recommendations for iPhone and any apps that makes bigger text and icons.
    After talking to the parents they may still be open to looking at iPhone even though they will go for an older version of hardware as 5s is a crazy price

If you are going for an iPhone, make sure it's at least a 4s, 5 or 5c - the 4 is just too slow and won't be getting iOS 8.

As for accessibility options, 9to5 Mac has a good article on the text size options in iOS 7...

http://9to5mac.com/2013/09/21/ios-7-how-to-make-text-more-readablelarger-on-your-ipad-and-iphone/

(apps can obey this text sizing option, they have to be updated first, so not all apps support it yet)

Already have a couple of Moto G in the house as daughter and other half both use it. Must admit it's rock solid and a great performer.
    Would the 625 be it equal?

Am I mad looking at a Lumia 520

I am still not sure if an iPhone 5c is even worth its price for what they will use it for

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

Well my mother definitely would not have needed a iPhone it would have been a waste of money,she uses at a stretch about 10 apps all of which are on the windows. It's true about the sales people in the shops ,I even got the funny looks when we asked to see the windows phone and proceeded to give us every reason under the sun not to purchase it.
    I am Really surprised at the Quality and ease of use on what is a budget phone no Android at that price would come close.

Would the 625 be it equal?

Am I mad looking at a Lumia 520

The 520 is a great cheap phone, but it is the smallest of the range. The easiest way to ensure everything (all text in all apps) is bigger is to buy the physically bigger phone with a bigger screen.

For reference, the 520's screen is roughly the same size as the iPhone 5/c/s - so all of the other Lumia's should be bigger.

Comparisons between the lumia 625 and Moto G

Anyone tried both phones?

Advertisement