Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards Auction League

Options
  • 29-07-2014 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭

Proposing a new league, with auction draft format. League will be hosted on nfl.com. Please post here if you want to play. Hoping to get 16 players, but could also play with a lower number like 10 or 12.

I haven't done auction draft before, so will be a bit of a learning process for me, but you won't be out of place if you're new to the format.

I created a placeholder league on nfl.com if you want to view the initial settings:
    http://fantasy.nfl.com/league/2405145

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭In Exile

I'm in.

Anyone new to it, I would suggest doing one or two mock drafts on NFL to see what they are like.

The draft is great fun and involves having a plan in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭LightningBlue

I'm also in. First time playing an auction league so we'll see how it goes.

The draft should be good craic alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

In Exile wrote: »
    Anyone new to it, I would suggest doing one or two mock drafts on NFL to see what they are like.

Good idea, tried one yesterday and it's a bit different alright.

One thing I noticed is the initial picks at least take longer than a snake draft with the multiple bids, so I think I'll reduce the number of teams to 12, as I'm concerned a draft of 16 may take too long.

Any feedback on league settings, let me know, nothing is decided yet.

Initial way I set it up was mostly with the defaults, but:

- 16 teams
    - Scoring: regular
    - Auction budget: 200
    - Roster: 1 QB, 2 RBs, 2 WRs, 1 FLEX (WR/RB), 1 TE, 1 K, 1 DEF, 5 BENCH
    - Playoffs: weeks 14, 15, 16. 6 teams.
    - Waiver: move to last after claim, never reset.

Draft settings:
    - Nomination time: 45 seconds
    - Bid time: 45 seconds
    - Bid reset time: 10 seconds

What I was thinking to change was:
    - 12 teams
    - 4 team playoff
    - Bench: from 5 to 6.

- Nomination time: 30 seconds
    - Bid time: 30 seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

As the reigning Boards Auction league champion :D i suppose i have to put my name in for this. Definitely better with 12 though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

I'll have a whirl at this too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭radharc

Stick me down for this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭me89

Count me in.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fatgav

I'm in if there's room

fatgav wrote: »
    I'm in if there's room

Yeah, that's 8. I've changed the number of teams to 12, so need 4 more.

Changed some settings, mostly related to reducing the no. of teams from 16 to 12.

- 12 teams.
    - 2 divisions (was 4)
    - 4 team playoff (was 6)
    - Bench: 6 (was 5)
    - FLEX: WR/RB to WR/RB/TE (just to give more options, and make a backup TE a bit more useful)

- Nomination time: 30 seconds (default 45)
    - Bid time: 30 seconds (default 45)

The 45 seconds seemed a bit excessive to me in the mock draft.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 alsully

Ill join. Send me link. Cheers

Just a quick quest why does every1 on boards use nfl.com?? Its prob the worst set up. Espn yahoo and cbs are way better in that order

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

I'll have a go at this too if there's room.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Wouldn't mind giving this a go as well, never did an auction league before though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Never done one before, so I'd like to see what its about

Ok cool, we got 12. I'll PM people for email addresses and send invites.

thanks for the invite. is the draft date and time the one set? or will this change?

Hey padraig,

Have we a majority date for the auction yet?

IE

Sorry guys, I'll put up a poll today. Probably do it the weekend before the regular leagues to avoid clashes.

Ok added a poll here for the draft date:
    http://doodle.com/vb85a7vyyh2mkd2b

It's between the 3rd and 4th pre-season games. Should be ok as starters don't tend to play the 4th game.

There are two week-3 pre-season games on the Sunday night, I left the Sunday option in anyway as it tends to be a good day for doing drafts. But vote against it if you don't like it.

Could I just point out to those people in this league - me, Padraig F, In Exile, Spongey, at least - who are also in the PPR league, that it looks like our PPR draft will be on that Monday evening the 25th, at 10pm. Probably better to avoid a clash if we can.

Also, for those people who haven't done an auction draft before, it can take two hours or more, so probably useful to bear that in mind when choosing a start time.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭wardie101

Count me in if someone has to drop out, just seen it now

• Advertisement

fisgon wrote: »
    Could I just point out to those people in this league - me, Padraig F, In Exile, Spongey, at least - who are also in the PPR league, that it looks like our PPR draft will be on that Monday evening the 25th, at 10pm. Probably better to avoid a clash if we can.

Also, for those people who haven't done an auction draft before, it can take two hours or more, so probably useful to bear that in mind when choosing a start time.

So over the next couple of weeks I have my Div 6 draft, this one, the PPR one, 1 with friends in the States and 1 in work here.

The lack of production in work in the mornings over the next month is going to be terrible!

Thanks for voting guys. Looks like it's headed for Tuesday week at 9pm, but I'll leave it open for another day or so, if anyone changes their mind.

cant make 9pm. voted for 10pm. it says its now tied 9 each 9pm nd 10pm. would it be ok 2 have it at 10. I have training that night.

alsully wrote: »
    cant make 9pm. voted for 10pm. it says its now tied 9 each 9pm nd 10pm. would it be ok 2 have it at 10. I have training that night.

I guess if it's tied, I could do it.

fisgon selected 9pm, but not 10pm on Tuesday. Was that more a preference or can you not make it?

padraig_f wrote: »
    I guess if it's tied, I could do it.

fisgon selected 9pm, but not 10pm on Tuesday. Was that more a preference or can you not make it?

More of a preference really, I had it in mind that these auctions can often take more than two hours and didn't want to finish too late. But if it suits the majority of people I have no objection to starting at 10pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fatgav

Hate to be the fly in the ointment, but earlier the better for me as I'm up at 5 for work each morning.

fatgav wrote: »
    Hate to be the fly in the ointment, but earlier the better for me as I'm up at 5 for work each morning.

Ah no, need to consider everyone.

Looks like it'll be Tuesday anyway. What I'll do is, leave the vote open til Thursday evening. If you want to change preference for a time, please edit your vote for your preferred time.

At the end of Thursday, I'll go with the highest. If there's a tie, I'll go with 10pm, since al asked first.

Here's the poll link again:

At the end of Thursday, I'll go with the highest. If there's a tie, I'll go with 10pm, since al asked first.

Here's the poll link again:

I was thinking about this some more as it didn't sit right with me, and I think I'll just set it for 9pm.

I know I said I'd go with 10pm on a tie, but I realised my logic was flawed...it's not a tie between 9pm and 10pm.
    There are also 8 votes for 8pm (9 for 9pm and 9 for 10pm). I think this makes the consensus best option 9pm.

Sorry Al, I know I said I'd do 10pm on a tie, but I need to try and consider what's best for everyone.

The good thing about an auction draft compared to a snake draft here is, if you arrive late, you still have your full budget to spend. Or if you want to leave early, you can strategise to spend all your budget early, and let the auto-draft pick up your $1 guys later on.

So I think there are options there, and the 9pm time slot best facilitates that.

can u make it 930 so?

• Advertisement

I was thinking about this some more as it didn't sit right with me, and I think I'll just set it for 9pm.

I know I said I'd go with 10pm on a tie, but I realised my logic was flawed...it's not a tie between 9pm and 10pm.
    There are also 8 votes for 8pm (9 for 9pm and 9 for 10pm). I think this makes the consensus best option 9pm.

I tell ya, it's not easy being a FF commissioner, you need the wisdom of Solomon :)

Advertisement