Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAS + extra payments

Options
  • 29-07-2014 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello all,

So here's the story, I have been renting for over a year while on the local authority housing list and was asked instead to go on the RAS scheme and to see if the Landlord would be interested. He said he was and and about a month later he came back to me saying the deal was ready to be signed ect. Great I said, but then he told me he wouldnt sign unless I payed him the difference in rent each month between what RAS offered and what I was paying. (RAS offered 650/m and I was paying 700/m) I told him I'd do this as I was happy living there and so I signed the contract with RAS and so did he.(No mention of the extra 50 euros in there)

Now I'm thinking he was trying to pull a fast one on me because RAS never offer the full amount(I found this out later) because the Landlord is basically guranteed his rent on time each month ect.

So what do you think should I stop paying this extra 50 euro a month, I'm sure its illegal as the Landlord has a contract with RAS now for rent and I pay my rent directly to RAS.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Deker wrote: »
    Hello all,

So here's the story, I have been renting for over a year while on the local authority housing list and was asked instead to go on the RAS scheme and to see if the Landlord would be interested. He said he was and and about a month later he came back to me saying the deal was ready to be signed ect. Great I said, but then he told me he wouldnt sign unless I payed him the difference in rent each month between what RAS offered and what I was paying. (RAS offered 650/m and I was paying 700/m) I told him I'd do this as I was happy living there and so I signed the contract with RAS and so did he.(No mention of the extra 50 euros in there)

Now I'm thinking he was trying to pull a fast one on me because RAS never offer the full amount(I found this out later) because the Landlord is basically guranteed his rent on time each month ect.

So what do you think should I stop paying this extra 50 euro a month, I'm sure its illegal as the Landlord has a contract with RAS now for rent and I pay my rent directly to RAS.
    You have a contract with the landlord now for the amount agreed with the council, legally you do not owe any more and should not be paying anything extra to the landlord as this is not allowed in the RAS scheme rules, there is every chance that this is also stated in the lease you signed.

You should contact the council and tell them what the Landlord has asked you to do and let them sort him out, If he tries to get you out the council still have an obligation to house you and you can most likely take him through the PRTB and courts for breach of contract and end up with a large amount of compensation as well as staying in the property.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Everything above is correct. However, you agreed to pay up the difference - now you are trying to shaft the landlord.

Not nice on your part

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

Everything above is correct. However, you agreed to pay up the difference - now you are trying to shaft the landlord.

Not nice on your part

Except he agreed to be party to a crime.

I'm not sure about OP's phrasing with regards to the Landlord having a contract with the RAS directly, and as such be paid directly. As far as I was aware that's not how it works and everything was done via the tenant. Can anyone clarify?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Deker

Thanks for the replys, helps a lot.

Not nice on your part

Yeah I get that, but I'm pretty sure the landlord knew what he was doing asking me for the extra money and that it's pretty dodgy behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Deker

Eldarion wrote: »
    Except he agreed to be party to a crime.

I'm not sure about OP's phrasing with regards to the Landlord having a contract with the RAS directly, and as such be paid directly. As far as I was aware that's not how it works and everything was done via the tenant. Can anyone clarify?

I signed a RAS contract with the local council and the landlord signed a RAS contract with them also. The local council pays the landlord directly and I pay my rent to the Council by standing order each week. Hope that clears it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

You are both in the wrong.
    You cannot top up the rent payment; it's black and white in your contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,745 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Deker wrote: »
    Thanks for the replys, helps a lot.

Yeah I get that, but I'm pretty sure the landlord knew what he was doing asking me for the extra money and that it's pretty dodgy behaviour.

On the other hand, you agreed to it. So you are a party to fraud as well.

Realistically, do you have other options, ie can you find another rental property that would be within the rent-allowance cap?

If you stop paying the top-up, are you ready for the degradation in the relationship that might ensue?

Advertisement