Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soldiers Life or Stay in Current Situation

Options
  • 29-07-2014 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

Thanks for reading this thread. To be blunt, I am mid-20's and to be frank I don't know who and what I want to be. I am a university graduate but that nearly makes things worse as I get the feeling that more is 'expected from me' from my parents.

To make a long story short, my parents had a nasty and long separation a number of years back. I worked all throughout my four years of university (5 nights a week) and got a good result in tough circumstances.

Jobs are not easy to come by and with that being said, for years I've wanted to be a soldier. I am too old to apply for the PDF here in Ireland so I am considering signing up for for either the British Army or the French Foreign Legion. After an initial contract of 4/5 years in either one I know that I will want to reenter civilian life, perhaps get a masters and if I'm lucky start a family. Right now I don't have the option or money for a masters or to get any job that I've applied for.

I know that my parents will probably be disappointed or worried for me, but it's something that I really want to do. I have a complicated relationship with my parents - they tend to influence me perhaps more than they should do.

I have no ties (no gf/wife or kids) or mortgage and a soldiers life has always appealed to me. It also takes me from under my parents feet as without a 'proper' job I'm under their feet (I live in the family home with my father) which galls me at the age I'm at now.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I figure out what I want to do? I'm relatively sure I want to be a soldier but I'm having a crisis of confidence as my parents would be totally against it - they think it that I'm wasting years of my life after having gone through university.

I am fit and apart from this decision, mentally robust so I don't expect any issues on joining either.

I appreciate any help in how I figure out what I want to do for the next 4/5 years.

Thank you

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Go for it. Plenty of armed forces also train you in careers that set you up for a career as a civilian, so you could continue adding to your professional qualifications that way.

You have to live your life for you. If you didnt do this, you'd always wonder.

If you are certain its what you want to do, apply and say nothing until you are called up to enlist (or accepted or whatever the terminology is) and its a done deal, they cant talk you out of it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Go for it, you seem to have it pretty well thought out and seem fairly together and smart. Sure you can always leave the armed forces if you find its not for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

It might be different now but I haven't heard much good about FFL and two people who I know that were in it didn't come out exactly in great mental shape. Just get as much information as you can about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Plus 1 on FFL. It is a very tough road to take even compared to regular French army. Also be aware that you might actually see real action where you could potentially have to kill someone which you would be unlikely to encounter in the Irish army. I know the FFL were active in Yugoslavia and parts of Africa for example.
    Otherwise I would say go for it. It is your life and you need to make your own decisions. If it is something you think you would like to do then what other people think is largely irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

****ing hell, this could have been written by me 3 years ago!

I'm on my way out now, but I'll post later. I joined the British Army after working post-uni... A Squaddies life aint all that bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

+1 for the British Army

I'm dubious about the FFL. I'm sure they're a lovely bunch of lads. If it all goes Pete Tong you can get out of the British Army quite easily. Worst comes to worst, your folks get on to the local TD and Enda is sorting out the misunderstanding with David.

Ireland and UK are great friends at the moment and that always counts for something.

That being said, there's been a bit in the news about bullying in the BA. I always feel that if it has been in the news they will have done something about it by now. I haven't heard anything about bullying in the FFL and I don't think that's because it doesn't happen. In the FFL you're kind of a long way off and then there's the language thing.

Anyway all the very best;)

Man, the only thing holding you back is what your parents will think. Like myself, you've probably reverted to them for advice in the past, maybe even waited on decisions until they have given the nod. I was guilty of that! It will shock them, no doubt about it, and they won't get over the fact that you'll do it, against their wishes. You'll get emotionally blackmailed, the cold shoulder, etc... but you have to explain that you are doing it, and that is that. You can talk them through it, most parents can be. Besides, who cares? It is your decision.

Also, you have no gf or mortgage - how long do you think this perfect storm will last? You have an education, which will stand to you in terms of promotion. You also have something to fall back on, should the forces not be for you.

Life as a single lad is pretty sweet. You live, work, chill and party with the lads. Pretty unique cameraderie. The work can be demanding, demeaning, dehumanising but you and the lads get through it. The rewards aren't amazing financially, but your income is disposable and your hard work is rewarded with good downtime, in the BA anyway.

I'd recommend either, tbh. I wish I had joined the FFL, looking back. Learn a language, get into combat - the brits won't be going anywhere for ****ing ages. Although, in the coming 12 months I'll be in America, Norway, Middle East, Gibralter... at least the travel is good.

Note about bullying. It happens everywhere. Don't think that you won't find it in either army. But I've never seen anything that I would consider too serious, and anything that does happen is usually dealt with by the lads. No one likes it, it lowers morale for everyone and whoever is carrying out loses respect. Pick your trade or regiment wisely in the BA. Having said that, the BA is in Britain, and not the arsehole of Africa, which helps break the insitutional feel of life in the services. You can still meet girls, go out with the lads, etc. The FFL decide what and when you do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

OP here.

Thanks for all of the replies. I appreciate it - truly. I suppose I have to take responsibility for my life and make some decisions!

Discus - your posts in particular were insightful, thanks.

I have one other 'civvy' option that may come to pass (a masters in the UK which I need a loan to do ironically....). If the loan comes in, I'll do the masters and look to enter the Army Reserves.

Should I not be successful in getting the loan to do the course, I may indeed join the BA or the FFL.

Thanks once again for your responses - they've kind of helped me in giving me a spur.

And for anyone reading in the future, Dermot O'Shea's blog 'BankstoBattlefields' is good at giving an insight to potential Irish Legionnaires.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Good that everyone is aboard on this.

OP, do you know what a military life entails (Father Uncles cousins, done RDF time)? The French Foreign Legion have a tough selection process to rule out the Walts from the men. If you do get in there is a 5 year contract. The British Army has a much easier entry and exit strategy.

Once Afghanistan has been wound down, I can't see the British Army doing any more than making the Tea for NATO/WEU for about 10 years.

Make sure you know what it is like to sleep on the ground, to be cold, to be hungry a bit of sleep deprivation, your knees ache from humping a 30kg Bergen. have some "Ship* on the Shingle" (boiled mince on toast) for breakfast. (* insert other similar sounding word).

Hey if it all not as expected ...... you can buy your way out for a few quid and be home in few hours.

skooterblu2, you're wrong.

You don't pay a single penny to leave the British Army... And you can't be out in a matter of hours. Weeks yes, hours no. And being in the field is NOT the hardest part of being in the army. I suggest you actually serve in a fulltime army before you start giving people career advice, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

discus wrote: »
    skooterblu2, you're wrong.

You don't pay a single penny to leave the British Army... And you can't be out in a matter of hours. Weeks yes, hours no. And being in the field is NOT the hardest part of being in the army. I suggest you actually serve in a fulltime army before you start giving people career advice, thanks.
    http://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/smilies/cool.png

90% of it is right. Still the entry process isnt easy either, for any army. You will have to forgive the old sand bag ..... our habits die hard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

OP I always wanted to try the army , and am to old for it now.
    This sounds like the right time for you to give it a go.
    I'd go for the BA though , I've read plenty about the FFL and think it should be your 2nd option.

Advertisement