Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy and adjust shoes + cleats?

Options
  • 29-07-2014 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭

Hey so I've been getting used to riding my new road bike and now I feel confident enough to move up to using clipless pedals. I've looked online and I think the shimano spd-540 should be good enough for me as they're reasonably priced for a beginner. The problem is I'm not sure if I wanna buy shoes online cuz I would wanna try them out before I buy them to make sure they fit well and feel right. I've been looking at shops in Dublin but they're all a lot more expensive than what I can get the shoes for online. So I'ld like to know where in Dublin would you guys recommend me to get shoes from (or atleast try them out for fit and size so I can then get it online) and also I'ld like to know where I could go to get the cleats set up properly for me?

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

I'm not a subscriber to the philosophy of always support your LBS, but what you are talking about doing here is really not a nice thing to do - regardless of it being a bike store, a jewelry store, or a sweet shop.
    Trying on shoes in an independent retailer, using their time, and the fact that they've invested money in having the stock, only to turn around and spend your money elsewhere, is not going to go down well with a lot of people here.

I buy most of my stuff online, and where some offline interaction and help is needed, I buy it in the store, and if it's more expensive - that's the premium you pay for that benefit.

There are a lot of great bike shops in Dublin, which I and I'm sure plenty others would happily recommend based on whereabouts you are.

There are also 2 great Irish online stores. This online bicycle shop and this online triathlon shop.

For Cleat Fitting, if you have Shimano pedals, then I'm not sure where to go, but I know that Bike Fit Studio do Look Cleat Fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I agree with you. It's not a nice thing to do which is why I was looking for any recommendation for a bike shop where I could get shoes and get them set up properly. I could buy the pedals online but for shoes I'ld like to try them out before i buy them.

My local bike shop doesn't have the shoes I was looking at and the other one that's close by doesn't have the model I'm looking for either so I was looking at more recommendations of a shop in Dublin I could buy the shoes from. Thanks for the link, I'll check it out. I was looking more at shimano pedals but I'll check out look too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I agree with you. It's not a nice thing to do which is why I was looking for any recommendation for a bike shop where I could get shoes and get them set up properly. I could buy the pedals online but for shoes I'ld like to try them out before i buy them.

My local bike shop doesn't have the shoes I was looking at and the other one that's close by doesn't have the model I'm looking for either so I was looking at more recommendations of a shop in Dublin I could buy the shoes from. Thanks for the link, I'll check it out. I was looking more at shimano pedals but I'll check out look too.

I'm sure they'd order them for you..you could ask them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

I rang Cycleways in Dublin and asked if I bought shoes and pedals there would they fit the cleats for me, 'no problem' he said.

Went in, bought shoes, bought pedals, hopped on my bike and the guy showed another guy how to fit my cleats.

'We won't be charging you for the cleat fitting today because I'm training someone' he said. I was kind of surprised as there had been no mention of any charge for fitting the cleats - so be warned. Apparently it would have cost me another €20 (possibly €30) in addition to the shoes and pedals, so make sure you check whether there's a fee or not.
    I think other bike shops might fit the cleats for free.
    I can't tell you how good the cleat fitting was, I still haven't got around to wearing the shoes with the pedals yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,261 ✭✭✭✭fits

I bought shoes and pedals last week in Spain. the shop fitted the cleats for me. They might need adjustment but its going ok so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

MB Lacey wrote: »
    I rang Cycleways in Dublin and asked if I bought shoes and pedals there would they fit the cleats for me, 'no problem' he said.

Went in, bought shoes, bought pedals, hopped on my bike and the guy showed another guy how to fit my cleats.

'We won't be charging you for the cleat fitting today because I'm training someone' he said. I was kind of surprised as there had been no mention of any charge for fitting the cleats - so be warned. Apparently it would have cost me another €20 (possibly €30) in addition to the shoes and pedals, so make sure you check whether there's a fee or not.
    I think other bike shops might fit the cleats for free.
    I can't tell you how good the cleat fitting was, I still haven't got around to wearing the shoes with the pedals yet.

Was that for Shimano Cleats? What kind of process did they do? I'm actually in the middle of looking into bike fitting and cleat fitting so I've been looking at so many options!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

C-Shore wrote: »
    Was that for Shimano Cleats? What kind of process did they do? I'm actually in the middle of looking into bike fitting and cleat fitting so I've been looking at so many options!

Yes shimano cleats and shimano pedals.
    It was a 'hop on your bike and let's take a look at you' procedure, nothing digital or too technical.
    Seemed to know what they were talking about, well the main guy did whilst he was tutoring the other guy in what to watch for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

C-Shore wrote: »

For Cleat Fitting, if you have Shimano pedals, then I'm not sure where to go, but I know that Bike Fit Studio do Look Cleat Fitting.

I'd really recommend the Bike Fit Studio Keo fit as well, I went from having constant knee pain in June to doing 600km and ~18000m climbing in 8 days in the Pyrenees last week!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Thanks, I was really looking at the shimano pedals which are only €29 for a set of r540 pedals online and they seem to have good reviews too. The look pedals are a lot more expensive so it's a pity they don't do shimano fitting. Although I guess I could have a go at setting it up myself. I sorta set up my bike myself too and am fairly happy with it.

Eurocycles seem to have a good range of shimano shoes in many different sized so I'll check them out sometime. Cheers for the advice though!

• Advertisement
Advertisement