Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC 10/70 question

Options
  • 29-07-2014 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi folks,

My alarm went off in the middle of a thunder and lightening storm last week and according to the system it was triggered by the panic buttons. Since then I cannot set the alarm at all as it tells me there is a fault with the panic buttons. I have checked both panic buttons and neither have been pressed. I opened both to check for insects shorting out the contacts and both look normal to me. By deduction I'm guessing the passing lightening which set the alarm off in the first place has caused some damage to the circuit board which is bringing up this fault.

I'm going away over the bank holiday weekend and would like to be able to set this alarm in my absence. Does anyone know if I can disable the panic buttons from the alarm as I don't use them anyway and have another panic button function on the remote control?

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Lyncher2014

Hi supercub,

When you enter your user code, what does the panel display?

Are the panic buttons wired or wireless?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

OP, your system has been damaged by lightning, my advice to you is not to interfere with it and call in either the original installer assuming they are PSA licenced or alternatively someone who is.
    Your panel has more than likely been damaged and a full and thorough check has to be done on your system, your insurance company will cover any costs associated with this, but please use a registered PSA company as then you will not give them an excuse not to pay out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Supercub

Lyncher2014 the panic buttons are wired. When I attempt to set the alarm the panel tells me "Open zone 9 panic buttons". I have now discovered that I can inhibit zone 9 and the alarm will set which gets me over my immediate problem of this forthcoming weekend. Is there a way of permanently disabling the panic buttons so I don't have to inhibit them every time I set the alarm?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,655 ✭✭✭✭altor

Supercub wrote: »
    Lyncher2014 the panic buttons are wired. When I attempt to set the alarm the panel tells me "Open zone 9 panic buttons". I have now discovered that I can inhibit zone 9 and the alarm will set which gets me over my immediate problem of this forthcoming weekend. Is there a way of permanently disabling the panic buttons so I don't have to inhibit them every time I set the alarm?

You could try looping the zone out in the control panel. Alternately you could make the zone unused if you have the engineer code in the zone types menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Lyncher2014

As kub said, the system may have been damaged by lightening. Did the alarm go of during the storm ? may have just been a coincidence that there was a storm and then a fault occurred on the system at a later stage.

IF you do decide to investigate it yourself by doing what altor said, to save you the chance from having to open up the alarm panel, I'd start at the panic button before you do and follow any visible cable back to the alarm panel. it may have been damaged somehow, maybe by a pet ?

• Advertisement

Altor,

could you elaborate on either of these two options? I don't know the engineers code. Is it a standard code? My hunch is the passing electrical storm upset the system and I don't think it was a coincidence. Dont have any pets to chew the cables either lyncher2014.

Altor,

could you elaborate on either of these two options? I don't know the engineers code. Is it a standard code? My hunch is the passing electrical storm upset the system and I don't think it was a coincidence. Dont have any pets to chew the cables either lyncher2014.

If you had the engineer code then you could try making the zone unused in the settings that control zone types.
    If you don't then closing off the loop by means of putting a loop of cable across the zone in the control panel might do the same.
    Just remember to turn off the mains before opening the control panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

OP is there anyway you can get a professional to check your system before the weekend?

Your alarm might set after you inhibit that zone but for all you know your shock sensors might have gotten a spike and are now faulty and therefore paranoid and may activate the system while you are away.
    Or your window contacts could also have gotten a spike and are now no longer working as the reed switches are stuck together.
    I have been there too many times and seen it all therefore I would strongly recommend that you get it checked professionally.

It would be no harm to get it looked at professionally but there is also a user walk test function you can use to test that the zones are working if you can't get it looked at. 0#3 will put the system in walk test mode.

Many thanks for all your replies guys, much appreciated. I am lucky to have a really good , approved installer locally who will check it over after the weekend. In the meantime I'm happy that it's working, except for the panic buttons.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement

Many thanks for all your replies guys, much appreciated. I am lucky to have a really good , approved installer locally who will check it over after the weekend. In the meantime I'm happy that it's working, except for the panic buttons.

Thanks again.

Your welcome, let us know the outcome :)

Advertisement