Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clicking from bottom bracket area only under load?

Options
  • 29-07-2014 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭

I have this god awful annoying clicking noise coming from the bottom bracket area that is slowly but surely driving me crazy. Tracking down what is causing it is a nightmare. It only starts happening after cycling for about 5-10 mins and flipping the bike upside down and hand pedalling it doesn't happen, same for on a stand, it only happens when I'm cycling on the bike irregardless of what gear it is in. I originally thought it was the pedals so replaced them. Last week I dropped it into lbs and had them overhaul bottom bracket but still the same. I'm not sure now whether to bring it back to lbs or else just keep troubleshooting myself?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,495 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I have this god awful annoying clicking noise coming from the bottom bracket area that is slowly but surely driving me crazy. Tracking down what is causing it is a nightmare. It only starts happening after cycling for about 5-10 mins and flipping the bike upside down and hand pedalling it doesn't happen, same for on a stand, it only happens when I'm cycling on the bike irregardless of what gear it is in. I originally thought it was the pedals so replaced them. Last week I dropped it into lbs and had them overhaul bottom bracket but still the same. I'm not sure now whether to bring it back to lbs or else just keep troubleshooting myself?

Overhaul bottom bracket?

Sounds like you need a new one...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Would agree, they should have replaced the bottom bracket, it sounds knackered.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭SOR2010

I've the same issue was on to my lbs shop who said it needs to be replaced!

Just wondering how long they should last though, mine is 6 months old about 2600k didn't think it would go so soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

SOR2010 wrote: »
    I've the same issue was on to my lbs shop who said it needs to be replaced!

Just wondering how long they should last though, mine is 6 months old about 2600k didn't think it would go so soon...

Thats the issue around modern BB. The reduction in weight often means that the material used wear faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Overhaul bottom bracket?

Sounds like you need a new one...

It was actually only replaced last October by same bike shop? Perhaps its time to look for another place to get work done on my bike that I can't/couldn't be bothere doing myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭SOR2010

logik wrote: »
    Thats the issue around modern BB. The reduction in weight often means that the material used wear faster.

Its a pity you cant replace the bearings in them easier,
    I know a new one is only €26, (I'm using Ultegra 6800) but still you'd think they'd last a bit better

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭sham58107

If it is Shimano one very easy to replace yourself and cheap.
    Did you oil and grease everything?
    Just a thought I had similar problem a while back stopped when freewheeling turns out is was shoe cleat bloody nearly drove me mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Have you greased everything?

I had mine into get done and the guy did a crap job. Was making noise within about 50KM.

Took it all apart myself, greased it up appropriately. And tightened it all back to spec.

Its perfect now for months.

I always trust my own work as i have eyes on it.

You should try doing that first before going spending money on new parts.

I had the same issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Dipsomaniac

Hi,

I had a similar issue last week. I thought it was coming from the bottom bracket and brought the bike into the LBS. Described what was happening and they replaced the bottom bracket. Didn't fix the issue though.

Asked one of the lads in the club and was told to re-grease the around stem & handlebar area. Did that and not sound the whole way around the tour of meath. Wasn't too many steep climbs but enough to test it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Could bethe seatpost/stem/handlebars/cleats or even the wheels. check these first..only takes a few minutes.

• Advertisement

Its a shimano 105 bottom bracket. I think I'll just try greasing everything as suggested.
    I would take the bottom bracket out and grease it myself but havent done it before and was under the impression a special tool was needed? From looking at videos online it seems you just need a big allen key?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭youtheman

Hi,

I had a similar issue last week. I thought it was coming from the bottom bracket and brought the bike into the LBS. Described what was happening and they replaced the bottom bracket. Didn't fix the issue though.

Asked one of the lads in the club and was told to re-grease the around stem & handlebar area. Did that and not sound the whole way around the tour of meath. Wasn't too many steep climbs but enough to test it out.

Similar story. Was cycling beside a club-mate and there was an awful click from his bike when he put the power down. Thought it was either the BB or the pedals. Then I told him to get out of the saddle for a few turn of the pedals. Lo and behold the sound disappeared. It was his seat post all along.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Could bethe seatpost/stem/handlebars/cleats or even the wheels. check these first..only takes a few minutes.

+1, getting similar noises in the past, and it was solved by a bit of grease on the drop-outs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Check the rear QR to make sure its tight. A loose one can give a noise if slightly loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,495 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

It was actually only replaced last October by same bike shop? Perhaps its time to look for another place to get work done on my bike that I can't/couldn't be bothere doing myself

Yes, maybe try another shop..

You will know it's the BB by the grinding type noise rather than a creaking noise which some other posters here have mentioned..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I had a noise like this from my new bike a few weeks ago, drove me mad and the guys in eurocycles, full sure it was bottom bracket,replaced and still the same,pedals replaced and still the same, turned out to be the bottom bearing in the headset,no visual damage or dirt but replacing fixed the issue, might be worth checking this out.

Fixed it! I decided last night to lube up everything externally before taking things apart. Cycle to work this morning was click free :)
    Not sure what it was but I have feeling it was the new pedals I put on a few weeks ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I had a similar clicking noise which I thought was the BB also. Within seconds, my LBS detected under tightened handlebars! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 45 SMacX

I had a similar problem. Turned out to be a loose dust cap on the crank arm. It's an FSA crank and there is a cap that had to be screwed in once the crank was attached to the BB. *simples*
    Also had click from stem/handlebar, seat post, cleats
    and pedals . Problem was bike had not been setup properly. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Last year I had this annoying clicking sound coming from the bottom bracket area when I was pushing hard. 'tried everything - pedals, seat post, hadlebars, QRS, knees..... Turned out the bottom bracket was actually knackered. It was a press fit one so I couldn't do it myself and naturally the LBS only had an expensive version - €70 later silence was restored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Muckers

I've a similar creaking issue on both my bikes and only when i'm out of the saddle. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭disco1

Bb s last for pi** nowadays. Maybe 3000km or 1 wet winter for shimano external.depending on your riding style..

Bb 30 , and all other press fit bbs are worse still and will develop play after ten or 15 spins in some cases....clicking bbs usually mean time to replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

disco1 wrote: »
    Bb s last for pi** nowadays. Maybe 3000km or 1 wet winter for shimano external.depending on your riding style..

Bb 30 , and all other press fit bbs are worse still and will develop play after ten or 15 spins in some cases....clicking bbs usually mean time to replace.

Couldn't disagree more..have you read any of the posts in this thread? most creaking noises from BB's tend to be from everything but the BB itself.

My bike is eight years old...same BB and I do 10,000+ k per year on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭disco1

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Couldn't disagree more..have you read any of the posts in this thread? most creaking noises from BB's tend to be from everything but the BB itself.

My bike is eight years old...same BB and I do 10,000+ k per year on it.

You are a breed apart

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

I was out cycling the other day, a 60 km ride on an old GT MTB, after a while, I heard a clicking from the bottom bracket area, a single click with each revolution of the crank on the down stroke, I tightened the crank bolt up as best as I could with the tools I carry, the clicking stopped...

Advertisement