Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my lawn

Options
  • 29-07-2014 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if it is too late in the year to plant grass? My lawn was all weeds so i dug it up and im gona set the grass in the next few days?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Doing it now will give it plenty of time to bed in and take hold before the harsher winter weather. You have 2 - 3 months of growing time before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

gramar wrote: »
    Doing it now will give it plenty of time to bed in and take hold before the harsher winter weather. You have 2 - 3 months of growing time before then.

Ok thats grand so thanks. And another question , i turned all the weeds , grass etc upside down so do i need to get them all out of the earth before planting the grass?

Not necessarily, once they've been uprooted they'll die although there are always a few that will take root again. You'll need to rake them out and leave the soil a loose and free of debris like weeds and stones to give the new grass the best chance.

You could have sprayed before turning the soil but you'd have to wait 2 weeks before sewing although that would depend on what you used. Too late now in any case as it'll be no use as the weeds have been uprooted and it won't kill weed seeds in the soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

I have 2 pups anyway so didnt want to use spray incase it harmed them. Thank for the help will start picking stones today lol

I have a couple of dogs too and I don't like spraying either.

A garden rotavator is ideal to loosen it up if you haven't already and then rake all the stones out and you're ready to go. Spreading the seeds evenly isn't as easy as you'd think and some recommend marking it out with string to make sure it's as even as possible. Rake lightly over the seeds and then keep it moist and in 10-15 days you'll see it begin to germinate.

Try to water with a light spray as heavy watering will see the seeds floating around and will give you bald patches later.

Seeding it now might even give time to seed a bit more before the winter if it doesn't come up evenly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement