Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Brompton in Dublin

Options
  • 29-07-2014 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Hoping to by a brompton on the bike to work scheme. Just wondering where is the best place to buy one in Dublin ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Don't know about best place, but I got mine in Cycleways on Parnell Street. No complaints, but there was a waiting list of a few months. The delay is usually on the Brompton company's end rather than the dealership's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Same. I got mine in cycleways about 6 years ago. At the time there was a kiwi guy working there who was an absolute pain to deal with. Other than that, it went ok.

Their repairs service is decent, but you need to make an appointment with quite a lot of notice.

I got Bee Cycles to look over my Brompton when I was having a problem with extraneous creaks. Did a grand job. They aren't a Brompton retailer, but Dara knows his stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭micha5L

Mycycle.ie Hollingsworth

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭SilverLiningOK

dixierip wrote: »
    Hoping to by a brompton on the bike to work scheme. Just wondering where is the best place to buy one in Dublin ?

Cycle Surgery in Dundrum, can supply them from stock of UK warehouse. Family member got one there last year on bike to work scheme. They are a lot quicker than others mentioned as there won't be any months of waiting, only a couple of weeks, that's if you can find a bike from stock that suits you.

The modern Bromptons are a lot lighter than the old 1998 L5 that I have. Great bike for the city with the multi modal options too. Worth considering the luggage and front carrier block when ordering too. The T Bag holds loads and because it is carried by frame rather than handelbars, very stable too.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I got the front block with touring pannier. Good idea. I decided against the rear carrier as I assume you have to take everything off to make the bike stand by itself (folding the back wheel under, first step of the fold).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,884 ✭✭✭what_traffic

dixierip wrote: »

I would recommend to get the Dynamo light; it is expensive but worth it. Was my one regret when buying that I did not get it. Bought mine in Cycleways in 2006. Had same experience as tomasrojo with regards to time taken but that could have changed since then.
    They are great bikes. Should last a lifetime if given TLC every now and then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Yeah, I got the front block with touring pannier. Good idea. I decided against the rear carrier as I assume you have to take everything off to make the bike stand by itself (folding the back wheel under, first step of the fold).

That rear carrier fold is very handy if you're on/off a train a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

Got mine in Cycleways a few week ago, 6 week wait due to customisations. Wouldnt recommend the +8% gearing

...Wouldnt recommend the +8% gearing

Can you elaborate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,884 ✭✭✭what_traffic

beauf wrote: »
    That rear carrier fold is very handy if you're on/off a train a lot.

Does it allow one to roll the bike on the platform/train like a suitcase with wheels?

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

beauf wrote: »
    Can you elaborate?

I got the three speed +8%. Top gear is too high for flat roads and middle gear is a little too low for flat roads. I suspect the +8% only applies to the top gear. Standard gearing is probably perfect, others here will know.

Does it allow one to roll the bike on the platform/train like a suitcase with wheels?

I don't have a brompton (considering one) but I've seen other users do this. Also the bike free stands so you have both hands free if you want.

Yeah, you can get a rear rack with wheels rather like a skateboard's (Eazy Wheels). If you like, you can swap in inline roller skate wheels, it seems.

When I said I'd decided against the rear rack, I was thinking of having to remove the load from the rack before starting the fold. I stop and "park" the bike by folding the rear wheel under all the time. Equivalent of having a kickstand on a regular bike. I have a Bike Hod trailer for carrying big loads anyway (which works very well with a Brompton if you attach the hitch and tow arm upside down; you can park the bike without detaching the trailer).

Advertisement