Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failing OL Maths?

Options
  • 29-07-2014 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

I really am terrified by the prospect that I have failed it.

I believed that I had got around 43% in Paper One and did terribly in Paper Two, like I'd say I got around 35% being generous to myself.

Just wondering, what would my options be if I have failed it? I really don't believe that repeating the LC would be an option for me being that everything else went amazingly, except this and my course requires a D3 in Ordinary Level maths or a B3 in Foundation....

I should of done foundation, but none the less, here I am more than likely in this situation.
    Any advice?

Is my best option doing a PLC and entering that way and just repeating maths come June?
    I really don't know what to do and am utterly terrified that I have screwed everything up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Try not to worry. Lots of people do better than they fear.
    And anyway, if you really did get 43% and 35%, these would combine to give 39%, which is a D3!
    (Not that I actually believe anyone can estimate their own performance with this level of accuracy.)

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

Try not to worry. Lots of people do better than they fear.
    And anyway, if you really did get 43% and 35%, these would combine to give 39%, which is a D3!
    (Not that I actually believe anyone can estimate their own performance with this level of accuracy.)

So the whole "37 percent and above in maths is a pass" thing is legit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

It's nothing to do with whether it's maths - and it's not 37%. In all subjects, 38% is the cutoff for a D3.

See point 4 on this information sheet from the SEC:

https://www.examinations.ie/candidates/ViewingInfoNote_EV.pdf

I just hope your right about the part where you said most people do much better then what they predict anyway! Also hope they give attempt marks easier in the real thing because in out mock they gave near to none

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭FlushEk

I am tortured with fear of failing Maths. Very depressed lately.
    I failed it last year and i'm trying to be positive about passing but it's hard.
    I was absolutely delighted with Paper 1 and i was certain Paper 2 would be easy as EVERYONE said it would, even my grinds teacher and my god when i looked at Paper 2 i felt like introducing my head to the table.
    I can't be around this place for another year even though i LOVE school but damn..
    It's quite late right now but i think i need like 240 something out of the 600 to pass?
    I'm sure im not the only one looking for hope.. Praying has been a new hobby for me also. ( not joking )
    God help me lol..

• Advertisement

FlushEk wrote: »
    I am tortured with fear of failing Maths. Very depressed lately.
    I failed it last year and i'm trying to be positive about passing but it's hard.
    I was absolutely delighted with Paper 1 and i was certain Paper 2 would be easy as EVERYONE said it would, even my grinds teacher and my god when i looked at Paper 2 i felt like introducing my head to the table.
    I can't be around this place for another year even though i LOVE school but damn..
    It's quite late right now but i think i need like 240 something out of the 600 to pass?
    I'm sure im not the only one looking for hope.. Praying has been a new hobby for me also. ( not joking )
    God help me lol..

228 marks will give you 38% which is supposedly a pass, word on the street is also that this maths exam this year is supposed to be the most easiest corrected maths exam yet (as in they are giving much more attempt marks) but thats only a rumor :pac:

Badwulf wrote: »
    228 marks will give you 38% which is supposedly a pass, word on the street is also that this maths exam this year is supposed to be the most easiest corrected maths exam yet (as in they are giving much more attempt marks) but thats only a rumor :pac:

Oh thats not so bad lol but still lol.
    It would make sense though because its the first year of running the new Maths module or whatever they call it.
    Hopefully though i really am dying to go to GMIT in September and just live it up :):D

FlushEk wrote: »
    Oh thats not so bad lol but still lol.
    It would make sense though because its the first year of running the new Maths module or whatever they call it.
    Hopefully though i really am dying to go to GMIT in September and just live it up :):D

I'm aiming for GMIT as well, as long as I dont fail a single subject and pass everything by the skin of my teeth I'm in !

Badwulf wrote: »
    I'm aiming for GMIT as well, as long as I dont fail a single subject and pass everything by the skin of my teeth I'm in !

Hope all goes well for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Emer95x

I'm entirely with you. I am freaking out, it literally keep me up at night. I've always been crap at maths and good at everything else. I thought paper 1 went fairly well but paper 2 was a total bitch.

Yeah my maths teacher was saying because the government has put so much time and money into project maths that they'll mark it easier so they don't appear incompetent.

I did the exam in Irish which mean I get 5% of what I don't get, so I'm hoping that passes me.

Good luck to you!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Emer95x wrote: »
    I'm entirely with you. I am freaking out, it literally keep me up at night. I've always been crap at maths and good at everything else. I thought paper 1 went fairly well but paper 2 was a total bitch.

Yeah my maths teacher was saying because the government has put so much time and money into project maths that they'll mark it easier so they don't appear incompetent.

I did the exam in Irish which mean I get 5% of what I don't get, so I'm hoping that passes me.

Good luck to you!!

Bonus marks are a percentage of what you do get, not what you don't get.

Either way, it's a few extra marks on your total.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Memories

Lucky enough to say I made it through.
    D3 in the bag. Meaning off to College for me! :) Hallejuah.

Thank you to all of you who helped relax me in the days before with your words here. I hope it all worked out for you too :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Memories wrote: »
    Lucky enough to say I made it through.
    D3 in the bag. Meaning off to College for me! :) Hallejuah.

Thank you to all of you who helped relax me in the days before with your words here. I hope it all worked out for you too :)
    Always nice to see people having the courtesy to pop back in to update on something like this and to say thank you for support given!

Guess maths isn't the only thing you get a passing grade in! ;)

Good luck with your course!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement