Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

back pain on steep climbs

Options
  • 29-07-2014 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭

While training recently for the SKT 160, in a few weeks, I've been suddenly getting lower back pain when climbing up the super steep bits i.e. sections of Tickincor and Mahon Falls.
    I never have any problems with steadier climbs, it's just going up really steep gradients?
    The pain is on the base left side of my back.
    Once the steep climbs begin to ease off, so does my back pain??
    Anyone have similar problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Are you in or out of the saddle?

I have back issues and when I'm not doing enough core work back starts to get sore on the steep stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

shaka wrote: »

I have back issues and when I'm not doing enough core work back starts to get sore on the steep stuff.

Same here, weak glutes (especially glute medius - common in cyclists) can also lead to lower back pain in cyclists. The plank, clam etc help me.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭biketard

I've found that doing Pilates has helped me out greatly with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

^^^
    Same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I used to have lower back pain when climbing from the saddle, spinning (I do not mash at steep climbs). Some stretching and practice helped a lot, no problems now.

It may come back after a week or so without proper climbing, and again - some stretching mid-ride over a day or two and its gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

I get this on steep or fast climbs. Getting out of the saddle helps but I expect that some core work would also do some good

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Use a lower gear when climbing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Kettlebells for me, plus sitting up straight on climbs unless it's a short climb that I might get out of the saddle for.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭lismore7

shaka wrote: »

I climb the really steep climbs in the saddle and only get the pain on the steepest bits, which then goes away as soon as the climb levels out.
    I do 100 sit ups each morning and have been since putting a disc out 3 years ago, so thought my core muscles were strong enough but maybe they are not as strong as I thought.
    I'm 6.2 and quite skinny, so prone to back issues I suppose.
    Have been cycling for over 2 years and this is a new development as I've only been training on these steep steep puppies in the last 4 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

lismore7 wrote: »
    I climb the really steep climbs in the saddle and only get the pain on the steepest bits, which then goes away as soon as the climb levels out.
    I do 100 sit ups each morning and have been since putting a disc out 3 years ago, so thought my core muscles were strong enough but maybe they are not as strong as I thought.
    Have been cycling for over 2 years and this is a new development as I've only been training on these steep steep puppies in the last 4 weeks.

Do you stretch your hip flexors, piriformis etc? My lower back pain came from a combination of weak glute medius and tight hip flexors. I know other people who had the same problem. Pilates/yoga classes for cyclists are a great help.

Maybe try climbing out the saddle, not surprising you're sore if you've only started those climbs recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭micha5L

Hi

Take a look at the book "Core Advantage" Tom Danielson. There's different levels you can work at. I found it made a
    difference.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

lismore7 wrote: »
    Have been cycling for over 2 years and this is a new development as I've only been training on these steep steep

puppies in the last 4 weeks.

If you have back issues there's no way you should be doing sit-ups. They're terrible for the lower back.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,378 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OP - if you are suffering regular lower back pain you really need to get it checked out by a medical expert. Boards does not permit medical advice to be sought or provided, and I'm closing the thread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement