Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Argos Catalog

Options
  • 28-07-2014 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I went and got the new argos catalog on Saturday and looked up a few catalog numbers of items I was interested in and noticed a few prices were higher online than in the catalog. below are 2 examples feel free to add your own in comments or discuss this.

Playstation 4 500GB Console catalog price €399.99 online price €469.99
    EA Sports UFC Game for PS4 catalog price €59.99 online price €71.99

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I noticed this too. A lot of items have jumped in price compared to the previous catalogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

lycan238 wrote: »
    Playstation 4 500GB Console catalog price €399.99 online price €469.99
    for me it shows as 389.99 reduced from 399.99
    http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&searchTerms=playstation+4&authToken=

The other way around would be more of an issue, i.e. enticing people to the store with low online prices and hope they still buy it.

Often these days they have new small magazines with current offers. Stuff like consoles & memory cards are dropping in price all the time, so difficult to deal with if you only have a few catalogues per year.

google cache shows it was 399.99 on 19th july
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Oh0qXbXXxLIJ:www.argos.ie/static/Browse/ID72/37328275/c_1/1%257Ccategory_root%257CVideo%2Bgames%257C14419738/c_2/2%257Ccat_14419738%257CPS4%257C37328275.htm+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

rubadub wrote: »
    for me it shows as 389.99 reduced from 399.99

The other way around would be more of an issue, i.e. enticing people to the store with low online prices and hope they still buy it.

Often these days they have new small magazines with current offers. Stuff like consoles & memory cards are dropping in price all the time, so difficult to deal with if you only have a few catalogues per year.

Yes now showing lower price for me as well. (it did show €469.99 for me initially) I was surprised as the new catalog was only out on Saturday and I would expect that the prices would be the same.

I did have a quick glance in the offers booklet but could not find this product. I am also aware that the prices change every few weeks and that the catalog is not always 100% correct.

If anyone has any more examples of prices being increased online or in shop compared to catalog please share them here. For large discounts please use the bargin alerts thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Unfortunately Argos tends to be expensive unless deal is good. I would always compare an Argos price to amazon first. That's not including all these wow brands that are actually Argos own brands

• Advertisement

74.99 for a ps4 game lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

My Dad works in Argos :pac:

Although saying that this is how they structure their pricing.

Item cost to produce: €10

RRP of item (Markup + VAT): €18

Argos price: €21.99

Anytime you see something in Argos that has an uneven price, €20.99, €27.99, €38.99, anything that isn't a nice even number like €9.99 or €19.99 then you know that generally speaking it is an Argos markup.

Then what they do is they take the item that had an Argos price of €21.99 and put it on "sale" for say €19.99.

Remember this is the item that has a RRP of €18.

Whenever you're on their website be sure to look to the bottom of the page where they list their previous selling price.

Hope this helps to give you an insight into how Argos pricing works :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

My Dad works in Argos :pac:

Although saying that this is how they structure their pricing.

Item cost to produce: €10

RRP of item (Markup + VAT): €18

Argos price: €21.99

Anytime you see something in Argos that has an uneven price, €20.99, €27.99, €38.99, anything that isn't a nice even number like €9.99 or €19.99 then you know that generally speaking it is an Argos markup.

Then what they do is they take the item that had an Argos price of €21.99 and put it on "sale" for say €19.99.

Remember this is the item that has a RRP of €18.

Whenever you're on their website be sure to look to the bottom of the page where they list their previous selling price.

Hope this helps to give you an insight into how Argos pricing works :)

Hi thanks for a great reply. I assume you mean the cost to argos by the text i have put in bold?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

lycan238 wrote: »
    Hi thanks for a great reply. I assume you mean the cost to argos by the text i have put in bold?

Yeah I do, my apologies.

Advertisement