Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improving my distances

Options
  • 28-07-2014 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭

I'm only just starting out on the bike. I've done 3 cycles.

The last day I did 12km with an average speed of 21km/pH on hilly country roads.
    I did 15 and 18 km the times before but at a slower pace.

I'm first and foremost a track sprinter 400m in particular so I'm quite fit,light and strong. But looking at the training logs here there's a lot of people who are much older and in much worse shape than I am doing much better cycles(no offence to anyone).

In that 12km cycle there were a few part where I slowed to almost a crawl from tiredness and had to accelerate up again almost from scratch. I've been working on cadence and lower gears and that but I really want to do a distance that I'll be proud of. That would be about 45km. How long should it take to do that? Am I doing something wrong with the shorter distances? Will it just happen naturally? Am I not pushing hard enough? How do other bike newbies go so much further at higher average speeds than me?
    Sorry if this feels like a rant but I'm confused and a little annoyed ,I'm used to being good at what I do and cycling is really putting me outside of my comfort zone.
    If It matters i cycle a hybrid bike ,a coyote everglade .its just entry level hybrid

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

EmcD123 wrote: »
    I'm only just starting out on the bike. I've done 3 cycles.

The last day I did 12km with an average speed of 21km/pH on hilly country roads.
    I did 15 and 18 km the times before but at a slower pace.

I'm first and foremost a track sprinter 400m in particular so I'm quite fit,light and strong. But looking at the training logs here there's a lot of people who are much older and in much worse shape than I am doing much better cycles(no offence to anyone).

In that 12km cycle there were a few part where I slowed to almost a crawl from tiredness and had to accelerate up again almost from scratch. I've been working on cadence and lower gears and that but I really want to do a distance that I'll be proud of. That would be about 45km. How long should it take to do that? Am I doing something wrong with the shorter distances? Will it just happen naturally? Am I not pushing hard enough? How do other bike newbies go so much further at higher average speeds than me?
    Sorry if this feels like a rant but I'm confused and a little annoyed ,I'm used to being good at what I do and cycling is really putting me outside of my comfort zone.
    If It matters i cycle a hybrid bike ,a coyote everglade .its just entry level hybrid

well you are using different muscles than when you run. Second of all you are a 400m sprinter, so you are used to short bursts rather than long slow durations. It will take time to build up endurance. Thirdly the heat last week was intense and i myself went for a 35km and found it more difficult than usual. Also going up hills is far different to a sprint. Long distance cycling is like a 5000/10000 metre runner. It requires endurance rather than muscle power. But after a month or two you should be flying it. You must also factor in that if there is a wind against you, it becomes much harder to cycle because the resistance increases as your speed increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭carthoris

...looking at the training logs here there's a lot of people who are much older and in much worse shape than I am doing much better cycles(no offence to anyone).

Plenty of offence taken! We need as much as we can to stay ahead of you younger, fitter, stronger ones :D
    Am I not pushing hard enough?

On the contrary I would think that you are probably going too hard. In my experience runners expect to be able to exert the same amount of force when cycling as when running, they expect to feel the same level of work and resort to a slow cadence with a lot of effort. But cycling is different, you don't feel the impact as much but you do work hard. Cadence is key.

Also you say you have done 3 cycles, give yourself some time to get the feeling for it and what works for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I started 6 months ago op, I am young and would consider myself quite fit. My first cycle I struggled terribly to do 20km. Yesterday I did 104 km and can do 85 relatively easily. Stixk with it. Just takes practice.

I found and still find that the mental side of things is as important as the physical side. The strength might be in your legs but I find that convincing yourself to keep going is the hardest bit.

Also getting buried by guys (and girls) 30 years older than me is a bit humbling but also is motivation. Keep at it. Join a club if there's one near you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭cheerspal

It will take longer than 3 cycles!

It's all about building and building and building. 18 months ago I cycled 15k and had to get off the bike for 20 mins to recover. I kept adding a few km's every week and eventually broke 100km. I really put the head down in March and was doing 150 - 200km a week with about 2000m in elevation. I did the Wicklow 200 in June and then did la marmotte in July in France.

Keep at it. If you do the same 15km three times a week I guarantee the 2nd week you will have beaten your previous best time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭EmcD123

I understand its still early days and I'm definitely keeping at it,Its highly addictive. I've been focusing on increasing the cadence and all that and trying not to mash on the pedals.
    I've found some lovely routes as well.
    I want to join a club in a few months time even if its only for one group spin a week. But I have to build up to that.
    It is very hilly here,parts of the area are very steeply sloping for anything up to 1km distance.
    I think its that I started cycling in the wrong mindset ,that because I'm strong at running I'd be strong on a bike but I'm learning that's not then case.

One question though,should I try and go further on each cycle or should I try and go faster over the same distance instead? Which would be better for improving

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭cheerspal

I understand its still early days and I'm definitely keeping at it,Its highly addictive. I've been focusing on increasing the cadence and all that and trying not to mash on the pedals.
    I've found some lovely routes as well.
    I want to join a club in a few months time even if its only for one group spin a week. But I have to build up to that.
    It is very hilly here,parts of the area are very steeply sloping for anything up to 1km distance.
    I think its that I started cycling in the wrong mindset ,that because I'm strong at running I'd be strong on a bike but I'm learning that's not then case.

One question though,should I try and go further on each cycle or should I try and go faster over the same distance instead? Which would be better for improving

I would go further on each cycle. Once you reach a certain level of fitness you then go back and looming at improving your times over you shorter routes and then build from there towards getting better times over your longer routes.

Cadence was a big thing for me. I average about 115 rpm now on the flats but started around the 90 rpm initially. It really helps on the climbs and especially on saving putting any major strain on your knees if you have issues with them.

cheerspal wrote: »
    I would go further on each cycle. Once you reach a certain level of fitness you then go back and looming at improving your times over you shorter routes and then build from there towards getting better times over your longer routes.

Cadence was a big thing for me. I average about 115 rpm now on the flats but started around the 90 rpm initially. It really helps on the climbs and especially on saving putting any major strain on your knees if you have issues with them.

I don't have a way of counting cadence but is there a way of judging by effort or sight how many rpm you could be doing. Or should I invest in a cadence reader. I have a really good app for tracking cycles but it doesn't do cadence

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

What kind of bike do you have OP? If its an older mountain bike with knobbly tyres then you're working harder for less results than someone on a road bike. It takes time to build up distance.

I started 3 years ago having done no physical exercise for the previous 10 years, my first spin was 14km and was fairly slow but i kept at it and went out 2 or 3 times every week and within a month I was doing 50km spins and after 2 months done 120km without a break. Just stick with it, the distances will come in time.

CJC999 wrote: »
    What kind of bike do you have OP? If its an older mountain bike with knobbly tyres then you're working harder for less results than someone on a road bike. It takes time to build up distance.

I started 3 years ago having done no physical exercise for the previous 10 years, my first spin was 14km and was fairly slow but i kept at it and went out 2 or 3 times every week and within a month I was doing 50km spins and after 2 months done 120km without a break. Just stick with it, the distances will come in time.

Its a pretty entry level hybrid that I got second hand. Tyres are pretty thin but not ass thin as on road bikes. I hope I'll get to those distances eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I don't have a way of counting cadence but is there a way of judging by effort or sight how many rpm you could be doing. Or should I invest in a cadence reader. I have a really good app for tracking cycles but it doesn't do cadence

This Cateye Strada Cadence does the job nicely. For commuting, I have it set to display speed and cadence, for long distance navigation, speed and distance.

You should be working towards being comfortable around 90-100 rpm.

• Advertisement

cdaly_ wrote: »
    This Cateye Strada Cadence does the job nicely. For commuting, I have it set to display speed and cadence, for long distance navigation, speed and distance.

You should be working towards being comfortable around 90-100 rpm.

Is that the cheapest I could get?I was hoping for something more in the 20-30 euro range. I'm completely broke and I still have to buy a helmet and pay for the servicing it got yesterday so I don't have 50. Would buying a 10 euro one with time on it and counting my revolutions for 10 seconds then multiply by 6 work,and just regularly do that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Is that the cheapest I could get?I was hoping for something more in the 20-30 euro range. I'm completely broke and I still have to buy a helmet and pay for the servicing it got yesterday so I don't have 50. Would buying a 10 euro one with time on it and counting my revolutions for 10 seconds then multiply by 6 work,and just regularly do that

Your just on a bike and worrying about cadence. Don't buy anything.

Just ride your bike as often as you can.

I've no idea of my cadence and I'm not that bothered.

You'll have enough things to be buying in time.

Ride yout bike more, you will get stronger no need to make it complicated

• Registered Users Posts: 17,888 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Should I be spinning like mad on my evening spins just to build up spinning ability for hills? I dont understand how I can do 100 km on the flat no problem into Dublin or down the coast to Wicklow town and back but the minute I come to a hill the bike just comes to a stop even in the lowest gear, I physically cant get up them.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Thargor wrote: »
    Should I be spinning like mad on my evening spins just to build up spinning ability for hills? I dont understand how I can do 100 km on the flat no problem into Dublin or down the coast to Wicklow town and back but the minute I come to a hill the bike just comes to a stop even in the lowest gear, I physically cant get up them.
    Your problem in that case is that you can't produce enough power at the low cadence your gears force you to use up hills.

Get lower gears or try harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

I wouldn't over-complicate things, just go out and ride your bike and have fun. Increase the distance gradually.

High cadence = easy spinning using a smaller gear, shouldn't be a struggle. Everyone is different, no one fits all rule for cadence, I tend to sit around 70-90 on a hilly spin.

You'd hate the route I cycle then haha its literally up and down the whole time but mostly uphill. If that happens to me on a hill I stand up and just do whatever I can to get up it. Or else if my legs are tired I push my heels down on the pedals so they're below my toes and that puts the work onto my hamstring and glutes instead so my quads get to recover and then go back to normal at the top of the hill

nak wrote: »
    I wouldn't over-complicate things, just go out and ride your bike and have fun. Increase the distance gradually.

High cadence = easy spinning using a smaller gear, shouldn't be a struggle. Everyone is different, no one fits all rule for cadence, I tend to sit around 70-90 on a hilly spin.
    The way I've been working on cadence on the last 2 times out cycling is like this.I ask myself these questions, Is it hard to pedal? Am I mashing the pedals? Are my legs moving fairly fast? If it feels like they're pedalling fast without too much effort and I'm not hopping off the saddle then my cadence is good. Is that an alright system for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

The way I've been working on cadence on the last 2 times out cycling is like this.I ask myself these questions, Is it hard to pedal? Am I mashing the pedals? Are my legs moving fairly fast? If it feels like they're pedalling fast without too much effort and I'm not hopping off the saddle then my cadence is good. Is that an alright system for it?

That's pretty much it. I have seen a lot of people get lost in numbers (cadence, HR, power etc) and I think it can take some of the fun out of cycling.

nak wrote: »
    That's pretty much it. I have seen a lot of people get lost in numbers (cadence, HR, power etc) and I think it can take some of the fun out of cycling.

Ya I agree with that. I keep an eye on my distance with my phone and the strava app but that's just so I don't leave myself stranded to tired to get home. Its the same in running people get too absorbed in times and other numbers and forget about using their body feeling to measure it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Ya I agree with that. I keep an eye on my distance with my phone and the strava app but that's just so I don't leave myself stranded to tired to get home. Its the same in running people get too absorbed in times and other numbers and forget about using their body feeling to measure it.

I wouldn't worry about cadence at this stage. Learn to use all your gears properly and just enjoy it. If you want to monitor your cadence at a later stage buy a Bluetooth speed/cadence sensor and download some if the many apps for cycling and pair it with the sensor. I constantly average high 80's cadence, it's perfectly comfortable at that rate and I average 27-30kmph depending on route. I have no real need or desire to go much faster and i can manage 100+ km distances with ease. Stick with it and you'll be doing similar distances before winter sets in.

• Advertisement

It improves with time and effort! Just make sure to include a few (smaller) hills in your routine. You'll get fitter and stronger with practice. In month or two you will be blazing up the same hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

it takes time, ride as often as you can... a couple of years ago a 5 km bike ride would have been scary to me.. these days I do over 30 km just to get some eggs for breakfast... average speed would be 23 km/h on a mountain bike, I don't bother with gadgets to tell me cadence, speed, etc, I just ride, use the gears and spin at a comfortable pace..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Have a look at these training programmes for An Post Cycle Series, they may help.

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/IrishCycling/An_Post_Cycle_Series/Ready+Steady+Cycle/

lads i cycle not to get fit, but for the release. you have to enjoy the cycle. If you are chasing better times and so on, it becomes much harder. Just go out on the road like kerouac and enjoy it. You will gradually get fit and lose a few pounds as well.

Roquentin wrote: »
    lads i cycle not to get fit, but for the release. you have to enjoy the cycle. If you are chasing better times and so on, it becomes much harder. Just go out on the road like kerouac and enjoy it. You will gradually get fit and lose a few pounds as well.

I do it for the thrill,the adrenaline from coming down a hill is crazy. Haha if I lost a few punds there's be nothing left of me! The times will come eventually is how I look at it

I do it for the thrill,the adrenaline from coming down a hill is crazy. Haha if I lost a few punds there's be nothing left of me! The times will come eventually is how I look at it

Thats it. I love it when you have a big hill and you have to really exert yourself to reach the top, because once you reach the top its nirvana when you go down.

I hate the wind though.

Lough derg is a great place to go cycling

I'm in galway. The whole road along the country roads from knocknacarra to moycullen to spiddal route is amazing. I have finished it yet haven't managed it mainly beacsue its so steep and hilly

Advertisement