Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microkorg midi setup

Options
  • 28-07-2014 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭

I've gotten a loan of a microkorg for a while and am looking to set it up with FLstudio. I have no external soundcard myslef but I borrowed an M-Audio MidiSport 2x2. This litle card only has midi in and out, no audio. What I'm wondering is if I set up the midi connections between the microkorg and my laptop via the MidiSport, will I be able to send the audio to the laptop through the line-in socket, or should I really be looking at getting a soundcard with both midi and audio connections?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 743 Mod ✭✭✭✭TroutMask

mordeith wrote: »
    I've gotten a loan of a microkorg for a while and am looking to set it up with FLstudio. I have no external soundcard myslef but I borrowed an M-Audio MidiSport 2x2. This litle card only has midi in and out, no audio. What I'm wondering is if I set up the midi connections between the microkorg and my laptop via the MidiSport, will I be able to send the audio to the laptop through the line-in socket

Technically possible, though(if on a PC) you might want to hunt down a generic ASIO driver like ASIO4ALL so that the onboard sound card latency is not insufferably high.
    mordeith wrote: »
    or should I really be looking at getting a soundcard with both midi and audio connections?
    Thanks.
    Sure you could do this, I either go super-expensive or dirt cheap with souncards (audio interfaces). Got these SwissSonic boxes a couple of years back, €20 and work great for general synth-ery. If you're recording for a record or something, maybe a nicer one is in order :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

TroutMask wrote: »
    Technically possible, though(if on a PC) you might want to hunt down a generic ASIO driver like ASIO4ALL so that the onboard sound card latency is not insufferably high.

I'm guessing this is an FLStudio issue but when I try to record from the mic/line in the mixer only lets my choose the external mic. This is with Asio drivers.
    It works fine in Audacity.

316873.jpg

316874.jpg

Weird that ASIO4ALL is greyed out - do you have something else open at the same time that might be 'hijacking' ASIO4ALL's Line Ins? OR maybe your PC only has Mic In and no Line In, in that case it would be cheapo interface time?

ASIO4ALL doesn't always work anyway, most of the time it does

TroutMask wrote: »
    Weird that ASIO4ALL is greyed out - do you have something else open at the same time that might be 'hijacking' ASIO4ALL's Line Ins? OR maybe your PC only has Mic In and no Line In, in that case it would be cheapo interface time?

ASIO4ALL doesn't always work anyway, most of the time it does

Asio works fine for playback. As you say, if I have a browser open first and then launch FlStudio then Asio won't work as it has been hijacked by Firefox. Hovever that wasn't the case in the pic above. I'll have another mess around but if no joy I'll look into an interface.
    Thanks for the help

Right, well I've managed to get audio into Flstudio from the Mikrokorg by messing around in the ASIO panel. I have a MIDISport 2*2 interface and can control software synths via the Mikrokorg. Seeing as there is MIDI IN and OUT am I correct in assuming that I can program a MIDI track (in a MIDI OUT channel) in FLStudio which will then play back using whatever sound I have selected on the Mikrokorg? I tried this last night but no sound was returning even though when I played the korg directly it transmitted the sound fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Are the FLStudio midi out channel and Korg midi channel the same?

Haven't used FL, but I do this with both a hardware and software sequencer with no problems.

Test by setting the FL channel to "OMNI" and it will transmit MIDI on all channels. If it works, then you can narrow down which channel it's receiving on by testing each channel individually or look on the Korg settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

I do a similar thing using Ableton.

If you want to send midi data out from FL into the MicroKorg:

1) Select the midi device (Midi Sport in this case) and the channel number which you are sending out to.

2) You will also have to tell the MicroKorg which channel it should be receiving midi messages from (so if FL is sending out on channel 2, the Microkorg has to be receiving on channel 2 as well).

3) There's a setting in utilities where you have to say whether the MicroKorg is receiving messages via Midi, USB or both.

4) It should work the same way sending midi data to FL.

5) If you get the time, look into the multitimbre settings.
    It means you can send two different streams of midi information (using 2 different midi channels) and you can assign a different voice to each midi stream.

Thanks for the replies guys. I definetely have the MIDI channel settings the same. I also made sure the port numbers were the same. I'll try the omni option as wel as looking at the settings on the korg for receving MIDI. Will report back this evening

Midi-Ox is a fantastic program by the way. It's free to download and lets you see what midi information* is being sent in and out of the laptop.
    Great for problem solving.

Remember as well that some equipment can be +/-1 when it comes to midi data, as in 1 is sent as 0, 2 as 1, 3 as 2 etc...

The only time I've ever been on my knees pleading with a machine is when using midi :)

*You have to use virtual ports which is pretty easy to set up but may be a bit confusing at first.
    FL
    > Midi-Ox
    >MicroKorg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

5) If you get the time, look into the multitimbre settings.
    It means you can send two different streams of midi information (using 2 different midi channels) and you can assign a different voice to each midi stream.

Can a Microkorg actually do that?
    I only have mine a couple of weeks, so haven't delved that deep into the manual, but google searches seem to suggest it can't and it's not truly multitimbral.

noby wrote: »
    Can a Microkorg actually do that?
    I only have mine a couple of weeks, so haven't delved that deep into the manual, but google searches seem to suggest it can't and it's not truly multitimbral.

Now that I think of it, I use that feature with the Microkorg XL, so you might be right there. I have a MicroKorg as well which I use for vocoding.

In case you're interested, All the backing music here is going through a MicroKorg XL, the drums going through a Zoom drum machine and vocoder through the MicroKorg.

Advertisement