Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixies in Dublin

Options
  • 28-07-2014 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

I've just had another racer stolen in Dublin (Double Kryptonite locked outside the Gaiety in 3pm), and I'm tired of it the hard on scum seem to have for modern (even budget) racers.

So I've decided to take this opportunity to take on a project I've been keen on for a while and replace it with a fixie, changing components as I go.

Problem is, I have very little knowledge! I'm looking for a fixie with a decent ~60cm frame and flip flop hubs, in good nick,for 250-400e. Bull bars would be great, but I can add them on myself later if needs be.

Is there anywhere you'd recommend in Dublin to look for fixies? I just know of Fix Up Look Smart and Rothar, and I'm eager to find a replacement to my old bike... Public transport is no craic.

Cheers guys!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭v6e5qzawyrc3jn

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Mugsy_P wrote: »
    I've just had another racer stolen in Dublin (Double Kryptonite locked outside the Gaiety in 3pm), and I'm tired of it the hard on scum seem to have for modern (even budget) racers.

So I've decided to take this opportunity to take on a project I've been keen on for a while and replace it with a fixie, changing components as I go.

Problem is, I have very little knowledge! I'm looking for a fixie with a decent ~60cm frame and flip flop hubs, in good nick,for 250-400e. Bull bars would be great, but I can add them on myself later if needs be.

Is there anywhere you'd recommend in Dublin to look for fixies? I just know of Fix Up Look Smart and Rothar, and I'm eager to find a replacement to my old bike... Public transport is no craic.

Cheers guys!

slightly OT but...

Could you outline exactly how a double Kryptonite locked bike was stolen for the rest of us who use Kryptonite locks.

Lock models, method of locking, how it was broken/cut/levered ect..

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Mugsy_P

Sorry, only one of the locks was Kryptonite. I had a kryptonite Series 2 standard lock, locking the rear wheel with the frame and the bike lock station. My front wheel was locked to the frame and bike station with a fairly basic chain lock. How it was stolen is beyond me... I returned to my bike an hour after leaving it to find another bike locked in its place with no sign mine had ever been there. I.E. no remnants of my locks or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭randomstuff

Mugsy_P wrote: »
    Sorry, only one of the locks was Kryptonite. I had a kryptonite Series 2 standard lock, locking the rear wheel with the frame and the bike lock station. My front wheel was locked to the frame and bike station with a fairly basic chain lock. How it was stolen is beyond me... I returned to my bike an hour after leaving it to find another bike locked in its place with no sign mine had ever been there. I.E. no remnants of my locks or anything.

The series 2 locks are not really worth much, easily pried open.

Advertisement