Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming an auctioneer

Options
  • 28-07-2014 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can help me find out some information I am trying to acquire,
    I'm looking to get into the real estate industry, Can anyone help me? I'd love to hear from any real estate agents I have a few questions ill try keep this short any information anyone can give me would be much appreciated.

1, What qualifications/License do you need? I read its a 2 year course
    2, What type of working hours do people in the industry typically do?
    3, After receiving your License can you apply for jobs to work in a real esates office ?
    4, Can anyone give me an example of pay per week? surely its not all commission based?
    5, Any advice negative or positive would be appreciated I just want to mention one thing I know the industry isn't what it used to be, but we have to start somewhere.

Thank you!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Check www.ipav.ie which is the auctioneers professional body. It will give you a guide to the education side. There also a number of plc courses which can be sourced that are a sort of foundation level. This qualification might get you in the door and you could continue with part time courses leading to a degree award. It would also depend on what type of firm you wish to work with. The big city firms usually would required education to a degree level.

Another area which you might have an interest is the area of Facilities and Property Management. This refers to management of shopping centres, apartment complexes etc. There are plenty of job opportunities. I think the professional body for this is the IPFMA and they will be able to give you a guide towards education, career etc.

On the auctioneer front of course a city based and a rural based firm have different experiences as they deal with different properties such as industrial/commercial/residential are the main in urban areas whereas there would be a certain amount of agricultural land sales with rural firms.

Hours of work are flexible because you are in the service business. Saturday and evening viewings of properties are an everyday pat of the job. From my own limited experience with a family member starting off in the auctioneer business the salary was in the mid 20s but she really enjoys it and her salary has increased. There is a great variety of work especially in the city with letting of residential properties and ongoing management on behalf of the landlords a significant part of the work. Holding a driving licence will be necessary to make life easy

Advertisement