Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 names on a lease, 1 person left.

Options
  • 28-07-2014 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi guys,

I was wondering if someone could help me or give me some advice. Myself, my boyfriend and one of my boyfriend's friends, all moved into a house together. All three of us signed the lease. It was a lease for a year and we're now going into our 4th month on the lease.

2 months in my boyfriend's friend, turned around one week and said he was feeling depressed and wanted to go back home and stay there for a while. He said he would still pay the rent and a third of all the bills, because in his words exactly he 'could come back in a week, or a month, I dunno.'

Of course this was weird for me and my boyfriend having to ask him for money, so we decided we'd just split the rent and myself and the boyfriend would pay ESB, bins, eircom etc between us, until he came back.

He ended up moving ALL his stuff out of the house but swore blue in the face that he was still gonna pay for everything. So we just paid last months rent and he gave us the money and that was grand.

THEN he 'accidently' bought himself something online using my card, and I asked him to pay me back. He dropped some money in an envelope in through my letterbox and it wasn't enough. So I text him and asked him for the money.

He basically went off on a rant. Said me and my boyfriend walked all over him, blah blah blah. It was very out of the blue and random. So LONG STORY SHORT, he's now said he's paying nothing and he's ****ing off forever.

So what I want to know is, what can I do? If his name is on the lease, is he responsible for paying a third of the rent? We can't afford to just go 50/50 on the rent, and I'm scared the landlord will boot me out with no deposit and I have no money to pay a deposit and move somewhere else. I really like our home, and where we live. What options do I have??

Many thanks for reading my essay!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

snyperwolf wrote: »
    THEN he 'accidently' bought himself something online using my card, and I asked him to pay me back. He dropped some money in an envelope in through my letterbox and it wasn't enough. So I text him and asked him for the money.
    First off, change your VISA password, and keep an eye on the bills. Check if you can file charges of fraud against him, as he used your card without your permission.
    So what I want to know is, what can I do? If his name is on the lease, is he responsible for paying a third of the rent? We can't afford to just go 50/50 on the rent, and I'm scared the landlord will boot me out with no deposit and I have no money to pay a deposit and move somewhere else. I really like our home, and where we live. What options do I have??
    See if you can get a replacement, and check if the landlord is okay with this. Most will be okay once the rent is paid. Let the "friend" know that he won't be getting his deposit back as he jumped ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 snyperwolf

Thanks for your quick reply. I'm going to ring the landlord tomorrow, I'm just so nervous about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Thanks for your quick reply. I'm going to ring the landlord tomorrow, I'm just so nervous about it!
    The correct and legal way to replace a vacating tenant is by an assignment.

In order to assign part of a lease, you require the landlord's permission. The good news is that if the landlord refuses an assignment, the tenant may vacate and retain his deposit. In this case, an assignment is still possible if you find the replacement tenant.

However, with an assignment, the landlord is still entitled to reference and vet any prospective replacement tenant and may say no if the tenant is unsuitable.

One other point about several people signing the same lease is that they are jointly and severally liable for the rent. That is, if one person fails to pay their part of the rent the other co-signers become responsible for the entire rent.

Also, there are many people who will not rent with a couple as, very often, the couple do tend to take advantage of being a 'united force' against the other tenant.

So is it my responsibility to find a new tenant? Man, I feel that is so unfair, seeing as he is the one who ****ed up!

Also the tenant who left text us saying he doesn't care about his deposit.....if that's relevant...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

So is it my responsibility to find a new tenant? Man, I feel that is so unfair, seeing as he is the one who ****ed up!
    But it's better. If he had gotten a replacement, you could be stuck with someone you can't stand. At least because you have to find someone, it'll be someone you picked.

the_syco wrote: »
    But it's better. If he had gotten a replacement, you could be stuck with someone you can't stand. At least because you have to find someone, it'll be someone you picked.

Yeah, I guess you are right. Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

Yeah, I guess you are right. Thanks for your help.

Just as a heads up, very few people will be excited about the idea of moving in with a couple.

There's a reason 90%+ of the ads out there specify "couples not accepted".

Eldarion wrote: »
    Just as a heads up, very few people will be excited about the idea of moving in with a couple.

There's a reason 90%+ of the ads out there specify "couples not accepted".

Yeah because we're such monsters! I'm legit one of those people who when we where around our housemate we don't act like a couple at all! I'd just be embarrassed! But anyways, I guess I'll just have to try...

Advertisement